The Great Prairie Predator Review

Forum rules
Be fair.
stumper

The Great Prairie Predator Review

#1 Post by stumper »

At this time in life I have less time than ever for the things I want to do, and sadly this fall I did not make it to the woods...... However, just like hunting seasons, there are seasons of life and not all of them include hunting trips. Between the recent birth of my third kid and being full time on the force, I am busier than ever. With that said though many of you all know that approximately 6 months ago I got my first custom bow and I did promise a full and detailed review so without further interruption here we go.

I have always been a bear bow guy, whether compound or traditional I have had a fondness for the man, the company and the bows they produce. With that said, I wanted something unique and built to my specs using the woods I wanted. Thanks to a resurgence of traditional archery there are many amazing bowyers to choose from and I looked at a ton. I settled on a Maddog bow for many reasons including wait time, wood choices, warranty, and price. I do not think that I had it in me to wait a year for a Big Jim bow or the money to get one of Dan's amazing Toleke bows (I personally like the super D). I talked to Mike several times before ordering and he was patient/kind and spent several hours talking shop with me over the phone before I'd even ordered!!! I eventually told Mike that I wanted Black Walnut and a Red Elm riser and gave him creative license with the design. I asked that the bow be 56" long and have a 42lbs pull at 26 inches (my draw). I wanted this specific draw so it would use the same arrows as my 45lbs at 28" draw bows (approximately anyway). I wanted the bow to be short because I am rather clumsy with longer bows and occasionally hunt from a tree stand. At the same time I just happened to win some idaho kurt mango veneers on tradgang, which he shipped direct to Mike.

Approximately 8 weeks later a suspicious package was on my doorstep and the bow I pulled out looked like a beautiful toy....... I have never felt such a light bow.... At first, I was concerned and thought to myself..... well this cant be right.... this is a toy not a bow.... but everyone says they are awesome. All these thoughts disappeared with the first arrow I let loose. Mike has an excellent limb design and it shows with blistering arrow speeds. Now the bow feels like it has a little stiffer draw than my grizzly of equal weight, which I attribute to a couple of things.... One the length of the bow and two Mike uses Red Elm Limb cores. According to Mike he is allergic to bamboo and is unable to work with it. However, Red Elm has a crisscross grain making it incredibly strong and excellent at storing energy. The handle to the bow felt unusual (to a previous all recurve guy) at first but sets you up for a perfect longbow grip.

I wanted to wait to do this review until I had shot the bow for several months and I can say the more I shoot this bow the more I love it. I even ordered a matching one for my Daughter, which for $100.00 is the best kids bow I have seen. I will say the finish of the bow is where the lower price tag comes in. (I put a wax finish on all my bows when i get them so no big deal there). The other thing to remember is that this bow was $330.00 to my door, which is less than an entry level bear bow. Mike stands behind his product and told me he once replaced a bow that was left in the snow all winter and not found till spring. (at no cost) Mike told me if the bow breaks in a year he offers a refund or replacement. Years two through five he will replace it and after that he told me to call him and would do it for the cost of the materials. Now that is a warranty!!!! Mike really surpassed my expectations with this one especially how he put bloodwood accents between the walnut and elm! It might not be the fanciest of the custom bows, but neither is the price. This is a getter done bow that is meant to take out in the woods. Everyone should have one of these in their collection! Some of the following pics have been posted before when I first got the bow and some are new.

D
Five shots on five different bulleyes

Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

stumper

Re: The Great Prairie Predator Review

#2 Post by stumper »

Totally posted in the wrong section...... Admin please move for me?
Thanks,
D

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Fine looking bow there and I'm glad your satisfied with it, it seems that most are.
Shadowhntr or Captain may be able to move this, I just got red letter name & title to make folks think I'm smart. :lol: :oops:

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Great review dahyer. As you all know, my family has 4 of Mikes Prairie Predators. I own 2, and both my boys each own one a piece. All of us love the bows, and I have said before and echo what your review states. These bows are fast, smooth, accurate, and still pleasing to the eye. Mike is a great guy and bowyer to purchase from and work with. I may have recently gotten a Toelke whip that is likely to become my go to bow, but I have zero interest in ever getting rid of either of my Maddogs. I still stand, that there is absolutely no better bow even for twice the money they cost. Every Prairie Predator we own save one, killed deer last season quite effectively. Ours had colored fiberglass, so ours came in well under the $300 mark. You will not beat that anywhere.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

Agreed. That whip is mighty beautiful and you know I love mango. You did a nice job picking them woods. My next bow from Mike is gonna be my field bow. Solid Osage riser under free glass.

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

You know I love both my Maddogs. I have one that is Osage with an accent stripe of Black walnut and Black walnut limb cores. I also have one that is of some highly figured Bacote in a solid piece riser. The Bacote is gorgeous, and a good shooting bow with red elm cores.....but shooting both for a year or better now, the more plain looking Osage bow is my favorite of the 2.....for whatever reason, its just smoother and fits me better. I guess thats why I chose to hunt with it last season. The osage is really starting to age nicely into that dark honey color now.

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

Good review, I'm glad you like your new stick!

I talked to Mike a bit ago and he said he has been building all his bows with a locator grip lately.... hmmm

I have been playing around with the idea of having him make me a bow with Zwood in the riser and limb cores, How do you like the 56" longbow? That is the length I was thinking of trying too.

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

Unless im mixed up in my thinking, all our Prairie Predators have the locator style grips on them. I have seen some PP with the added thumb rest, but I haven't see it that often, but I know he does do that upon request.

Here is a great description of various longbow grips.

http://www.buildyourownbow.com/five-com ... bow-grips/

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

56 is perfect for my short draw. I just got done shooting it and the short length is short enough you don't care that it is not a take down. Yet it is not so short that you get finger pinch or wildly inaccurate. My next one will also be a 56 in the same poundage. Mike has upped his price 20 bucks which I think is reasonable. He is also making all pp longer than 59 with a wider limb profile that he said packs even more power. I believe he has stopped doing recurves as everybody wants his longbows. You really cannot beat it for 300 bucks. Like I said my next one is gonna be a plain Jane Osage with green glass. The locator grip is fantastic and has a slope to it that makes your hand slip right into a perfect longbow grip.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Yeah, he certainly did increase prices and change some things. He told me last year he was going to do that back then, but I guess decided to wait a year. No matter, still dirt cheap for the bows. I am kinda surprised he dropped the recurves. At one time they were pretty popular, but I do think in more recent times his PP are his best seller. Id thought about his Mountaineer before pretty heavily too. Originally, it was suppose to be his offering as a full sized bow meant for adults/men. Somehow the PP came to be the most popular with virtually everyone....it was originally known as his mid sized longbow meant for smaller frame shooters like teens, women, and smaller men. That explains the almost toy like appearance. I bet he originally never thought a 270 pound guy as myself would be shooting and loving them!

Return to “Product Review”