A dangerous idea....

Forum rules
Be fair.
stumper

A dangerous idea....

#1 Post by stumper »

What do you all think of Big Jim Bows??????..... I have been having the itch for another bow and was thinking maybe its time for something truly incredible..... The benefit of a 12 month wait time is I have plenty of time to chip away at the balance..... also basic thunderchild is only 624 and the Buffalo bow is only 599....... And only $100.00 to get on the list with 70 percent refundable before the bow build starts....... kinda sounds amazing? What do you all think??? It would be here for next season....
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

Re: A dangerous idea....

#2 Post by Graps »

Well I look at it this way , you only live once and it sounds like you have made up your mind already .
I'm 61 years old and I just ordered my third custom bow , even after I got my Bear Takedown that I had wanted for most of my adult life .
If you are comfortable with the finances , then pull that trigger .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Crazynate

#3 Post by Crazynate »

I have shot many of big jims bows at Compton each summer and they are great shooters. Very popular too I see lots of guys shooting them. I don't think you can go wrong with any one of his bows. He is a very nice guy too. Real cool
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

I've heard plenty about Big Jim and his bows...all good, nothing negative. If you really got a jones for it, flip the switch.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Do I think Big Jim bows are nice for that price range? Yes, I do.... but so are Kanati, and even Striker

Do I think there are better bows out there for just a bit more money? Yes, I do.

I seriously contemplated a Big Jim bow as well as Kanati, Striker, Shrew, and many more. But for another $100-$200 or so, it expands your choices to some REALLY top shelf bows. If you are going to pull the trigger for a once in a life time bow...and saving up money for a year ...why limit yourself to a good solid bow, and instead go with an amazing great bow? It's what you really want down deep isn't it?...the whole package? Don't waste any more time or money....get what you really want.
The following bows aren't necessarily that much more money then what you are already talking about...but are great longbows and imo top of the heap.
Caribow
Java Man
Toelke
Black Widow

Have you considered a static recurve? Both Java Man and Toelke have amazing Static recurves that will blow your mind according to all I've searched out. I CAN say, my Toelke longbow isn't the run of the meal longbow...its way more.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

Just wondering, why do you think those bows listed are a tier above big jim bows? don't mean to start any kind of ruckus or anything like that, just wondering what you might have heard or experienced.

Out of big jims line up I am partial to his 50's style recurve. I have really been wanting to try a static tip recurve as well as some of those shadow listed are on the top of the list.

I might also suggest not ruling out used bows. You can find the bow you want with the specs you want for a good deal cheaper, you might even get lucky and get wood combos you like as well. I did a bit of searching last year for a used toelke pika and found one that fit the specs I wanted to a T within a couple months of looking. Sure, I didnt get to pick out the woods, but I saved a few hundred dollars and the bow was in like new condition.

on a funny side note the guy who sold it to me text me about a week ago wanting to know if I would sell it back

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to shoot any of the bows u listed. Why are they superior to Jim’s? Honestly your post is the first I have heard of suggesting such a thing. I have looked at toelke and I like what I see but they are a couple hundred more. Not that that is a huge issue but why are they so much better?
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol.... :D you guys missed a couple of the most important aspects of my post!

First off, these are subjective questions where ever they come about....meaning it's individuals opinions about something. My take on any bow may indeed not be what the next guys will be and so again it's simply MY opinion. I can tell you WHY I formed those opinions though.
Having said that, one reason for me to think the way I do on this subject, is through months of researching and those opinions of people who have owned or shot bows that im wanting to know more about or compare... All I can go by are the numbers of people who subjectively give their opinions, since like you I havent had the chance to shoot some of the bows brought up in this conversation. However...I personally start to think there is something to these people's opinions when time after time the same things are said be it negative or positive...especially when I'm using as wide of a variety of archery based forum talk, reviews, and so on as I can muster. I realize things can get skewed if you only go with info from one source. Now I take what these multiple people are saying that equals the same opinion and I begin to see if I can find a reason as to why that might be the case.
Listen, I NEVER said Big Jim bows aren't good bows, I believe they are. But there are certain attributes that we each look for that makes one bow more desirable then another and that may well vary from person to person.... But what we look for in a bow, then pinning down those "alleged" less attractive issues about any certain bow can be difficult and at times impossible at a distance, depending on the root problem. However there are some more obvious things we can look for. The biggest reason I steered away from Jim's bows is as for instance, the bulk of people who owned both a Jims bow and Java man wrote repeatedly that while Jim's bow is definately a nice bow the Java Man is still markedly smoother, more quiet and with less hand shock. That's not to say any of them said Jim's bow is rough to shoot though....its just the Java Man was better, as simple as that, no more no less. One big thing I look for to see if noise and perceived hand shock could indeed exist, is the limb and tip design. I don't care who it is or what bow it is... to be a top notch performer, there is a line that must be pushed in getting the absolute most from the limbs without crossing the line and over into a land of diminished returns. Not pushing that threshold quite close enough makes more noise and perceived shock then one that has been taken right up to that line...as well as too much over the threshold line and you get the same, making a diminished returns issue. Without crossing that line...(using proper materials) the lighter and more petite the tips and limbs are in accordance with comparable riser builds, the more speed produced and less limb/tip mass that must go through recovery of the shock that takes place upon the shot. Meaning petite limbs and tips recover more quickly with less amounts of shot recovery or rebound movement and momentum. Now coupled with a good riser design, makes that play out as a bow that has good speed, yet is shock free and dead quiet.... even WITHOUT adding all the accessories or riser weight to absorb wasted energy and vibration... and simply is a more efficient bow. Comparing the bows in question and limb/tip designs ...it becomes more believable to me what those people are saying. In my opinion, making the Java Man (and some others) more desirable to me.
Yes they cost $100-$200 more....but to me I spent it, because I felt if I'm already spending $650 and I can't squeeze out that extra amount, maybe It would put me in a position of being too short on money either way...in other words if all that separates me from having a certain bow and being broke is $200 dollars, I'm in trouble with Mama anyway. :lol:
Remember...im not trying to be the bad guy here. I'm sharing my honest opinion of what you asked, Dave (Clay). I can't call myself any kind of friend by posting something other then my honest opinion...seeing how you did ask for our opinions. I could have simply avoided the thread, but that don't seem quite right to me either... you mentioned a bow of truly incredible proportion, and is the main reason I spoke up. As if all this isn't enough to piss off the Pope, the static recurve is undeniably truly incredible, though I know you are leaning longbow like I do.
In the end you are the one buying a bow and searching for happiness in that bow, you still must make the final decision no matter what any of us say. I hope you find exactly what you are looking for brother. ;)

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

I was waiting to see the answer and I must say that you answered well Jason. And I agree that what may be a top shelf bow to some may not be to others. But I have also read a lot of input on the bows mentioned even though I have no intent to own any of them. Not because I wouldn’t want one but simply because of financial status. I would guess that the majority I have read would have a similar tone. I have never owned or shot a nice custom bow or even many old Bear bows for that matter so my input would be useless other than my years of reading from these type forums sounds familiar to Jason’s answer. These are all just personal opinions though, get what appeals most too you based upon your needs. I really can’t remember ever reading a negative review on one of Big Jim’s bows. :mrgreen:

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Longtrad wrote:on a funny side note the guy who sold it to me text me about a week ago wanting to know if I would sell it back
LMAO! I wondered how long it would take for THAT to happen! Grass is always greener!....the grass is always greener....(Shakes head)

Return to “Product Review”