European Skull mounts...who's done em?

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Shadowhntr

European Skull mounts...who's done em?

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

As you all know, my boys both got their first archery deers this year, via longbows. When Wyatt shot his buck, he looked up at me and asked if he was big enough for a shoulder mount. About that time, I REALLY wish I was made of money...ugh. But, I stuck to my own rule with him, and told him they were very expensive, and we could only mount Pope and Young sized bucks. He accepted it, but I could sense he still wanted a momentum with his buck.

I brought up the idea of doing a European style mount with the buck, and he quickly regained composure. So....I had him take the head down to virtual bone....what a job! He dulled the crap out of my knife. :? He did a great job. I took over from there, having done many small animal skulls for display.....WOW....there IS a difference between deer and a bobcat. Deer skulls are WAY harder to get perfectly clean. Ive been working on the thing for a while now, and was beginning to wonder if id get it done. Im about ready to whiten with peroxide, once I make certain he is properly de-greased.

Has anyone else attempted this feat? What are your experiences, and do you have pics of results?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Ole Dave

Re: European Skull mounts...who's done em?

#2 Post by Ole Dave »

YOu'll have to google, but my friend's wife is a superb taxidermist and they do wonderful mounts and skull mounts...

Burchett's Untamed Art is what you'll have to look for...Rachel is her name... She's also reachable at "ladyturkeyhunter@gmail.com
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

Euro mounts are the coolest IMO. I havent seen anything other than lots of nasty scraping and elbow grease. and then use the powerful peroxide you can get at the hair places....... and a little superglue. everything needs a bit of superglue.

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

My cousin stains them with woodstain and paints them up real pretty. don't need to get them as clean if you stain them.

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

I got mine this far then I handed it over my cousin to finish off.

http://i.imgur.com/Eqy2ESV.jpg

labor of love for sure....

Ole Dave

#6 Post by Ole Dave »

LT,

That'll work. Be careful on the peroxide...I read somewhere it makes the bone rather brittle... as well excessive boiling...

And yea, glue the teeth back in! :)
All we have and call our own, once belonged to someone else, and will again. Our purpose here is not to serve ourselves.

Bigfoot SAS LB (47# LB limbs 38# Semi Static RC limbs)

Couple of old Bear bows

Ron Kulas

#7 Post by Ron Kulas »

I do dozens of these mounts every year. I have several in the works right now including a 140 inch buck Im cleaning for a friend. I do deer and bear etc.

Its very easy to do. Simmer (dont boil) and remove the meat (a pressure washer makes this even easier) Then degrease with dawn dish soap. The key to super whitening is 40 volume cream developer (you can buy it at a sally's hair care store).

I apply the 40 volume with small squares of paper towel I dip in the 40 volume and place right where I want it. Tape off the antlers with electrical tape so you dont whiten them. If you whiten the antlers you will need potassium permanginate to recolor them.

Let the 40 volume sit on the skull for 24 hours (wrap the skull in saran wrap during the 24 hour period) After 24 hrs rinse with water to remove the 40 volume. You can degrease again with acetone if you like. Setting the skull in the sun for a day or 2 really brightens it. You can seal the skull with a clear rattle can spray job.
The Joy is in the doing.

Ron Kulas

#8 Post by Ron Kulas »

Here is a bear skull I did.

After a simmer, I got all the meat off and washed it to degrease the bone.

Then, using small pieces of paper towel soaked in 40 volume peroxide, I covered the skull then wrapped it in plastic wrap over night.

After removing all the paper towel pieces, I rinsed and set the skull in the sun for a day to dry.

When it is totally dry, I will give it a coat of clear matt spray.
The Joy is in the doing.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice work, Ron! That is one nice looking mount!
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Nice! Thats a really great bear!

I must be doing something wrong because this thing was hard to do, to get all the sinew and cartilage off. I was a little apprehinsive of over cooking, so I might just need a bit longer in the pot next time. Sprayer would be nice.

Idk if this deers teeth are going to get that clean as the bear. Ive scraped them and brushed them but they just have kind of a dark tone to them. Ive already ordered 40 volume, and its on its way. I ran across it on YouTube. Ive degreased a couple times now with liquid dawn and borax. Hope it comes out decent for my sons sake.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “DIY section”