Deer hunting cart

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
AWPForester

Deer hunting cart

#1 Post by AWPForester »

I just finished making a deer hunting cart to pull behind my bike. This cart is supposed to carry a cooler, A tupperware box full of cooking and tolietry supples, and have room for the rest of the gear. I think it will work good but want some opinions if you guys see something that could make it better. I will post the pics durning the build along and describe what I did so you can make suggestions as to whether this will work good or not.

The cart is made of 1/2 inch conduit and welded mig style with 30 mm flux core wire. 40" inches long and 27" wide
Attachments
1 cart.jpg
1 cart.jpg (32.11 KiB) Viewed 1963 times

AWPForester

Re: Deer hunting cart

#2 Post by AWPForester »

I bought the wheels from northern since I couldn't find any bicycle one's adequate to use. I welded their mounting bracket to the frame and drilled 1/2" holes 3" from the top and deadcenter to mount them to it. The wheels cost $28.00 together and brought the cost of the hole cart to less than $50.00
Attachments
2 cart.jpg
2 cart.jpg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 1961 times

AWPForester

#3 Post by AWPForester »

BTW, the wheel mounts are 4" electric box oulet covers. And I left theoutside wheel braces longer so I could attach Bungee cords to it to strap ger down.

AWPForester

#4 Post by AWPForester »

Here it is mounted to the bike. For the bike mount I used a 3/16" inch piece of steel I bought from lowes and drilled a 5/16" hole for the bike axle to go thru and a 1/4" hole for the eye bolt to go thru. I took a piece of 1/2 " conduit and beat the last two inches flat with a hammer and drilled a 5/16" hole thorugh it.

AWPForester

#5 Post by AWPForester »

whoops. Here it is
Attachments
4 cart.jpg
4 cart.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 1958 times

AWPForester

#6 Post by AWPForester »

And here it is painted and waiting on the OSB bottom. I am unsure about the mounting system but believe it will allow for slack enough while not allowing too much. And I am unsure if I will have to move the hitch to the outside and come at more of an angle because it does impeded on sharp right hand curves by getting in the way of the bike wheel. Not sure, but I am not really worried about that for now since if I have to make that cut I will probably be wrecking anyway. I wanted to keep the cart close as possible to the bike also.

If anyone has any constructive comments please give them because I have no expierence with this. I just know I am not paying $500-$600 for a store bought one.
Attachments
5 cart.jpg
5 cart.jpg (41.21 KiB) Viewed 1958 times

TradRat

#7 Post by TradRat »

Hey that's real neat! Congrats and what a great idea.
"It is not the end result but, the lessons and the journey of the hunt that count!" TW Lanoy

Venator

#8 Post by Venator »

Nice, I made a cart similair to yours to haul elk out. The only thing that I see that you may want to consider is adding handle extensions that you can take on and off on the back and the front of the cart. With these two people can use the cart to take game out of a area that you are unable to get your bike to.

The only problem that we have with ours is when we don't have it hooked up to a four wheeler or a bike, we then replace the outside tires with one center tire. This gives the cart alot more maneuverability, but takes two people on the back and two people on the front end to balance it when loaded with a entire elk.

I also use this setup to take in my base camp in alot of areas, it sure beats trying to pack it all in. All in all it looks like your cart came out very nice, and I am sure you will get a lot of use out of it, good job.

TradRat

#9 Post by TradRat »

I bought one of those deer hauler carts that's supposed to hold up to 250lbs. I thought I'd use it to haul stuff in for a base camp also. I never thought of making one to pull behind a mountain bike. Again, I think that is a cool idea and sure can lengthen your time in the woods.
"It is not the end result but, the lessons and the journey of the hunt that count!" TW Lanoy

Return to “DIY section”