New old recurve hunter

stumper

Re: New old recurve hunter

#11 Post by stumper »

67 catalog shows imbuia handle and brown handle which looks very close to me.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

elkslayer4x5

#12 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

stumper wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:29 pm Looks like good old black or claro walnut. Also could be shedua also.
On The Darton Classic? My first thought was walnut, sure like that green glass! Order tapered POC for it today, should be here this week, Wapiti Archery is only two hours south of here.
Yep, I keep going back to that 67 catalog. In it, the Cougar is model 705. But mine has way more figure in It's wood than the pic in the 1967 catalog does.
In the 1968 catalog, the company changes their logo to include their under rated Deadhead broadhead. The Cougar's model number was also changed to 7050

elkslayer4x5

#13 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

The refinisher painted the model name, number and tried the arrow with Deadhead logo. A couple of errors though, forgot to paint an arrow through Ben Pearson and forgot to fletch it. Oh, and it's backwards. :D Here's a factory decal and the painted replica.
decal and paint.jpg
decal and paint.jpg (35.14 KiB) Viewed 467 times
I think they continued using their window beam like the white holly they used until 1967, sight window doesn't look like the same on either side. looks like a dark horizontal lamination line at the top of the sight window.
sight window.jpg
sight window.jpg (72.45 KiB) Viewed 467 times

stumper

#14 Post by stumper »

Well I definitely think 60s. 67 switched to brown glass and earlier had white I think. I think we are pretty close.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#15 Post by Captainkirk »

elkslayer4x5 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:42 pm The refinisher painted the model name, number and tried the arrow with Deadhead logo. A couple of errors though, forgot to paint an arrow through Ben Pearson and forgot to fletch it. Oh, and it's backwards. :D Here's a factory decal and the painted replica.
decal and paint.jpg

I think they continued using their window beam like the white holly they used until 1967, sight window doesn't look like the same on either side. looks like a dark horizontal lamination line at the top of the sight window.
sight window.jpg
Don't you hate it when they use all caps (BEN) and a mixture (Pearson) and don't take the time to do a neat and professional job?
I think that would actually detract from the value more than leaving it unmarked. Just my two cents.
Aim small, miss small!

elkslayer4x5

#16 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

stumper wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:48 am Well I definitely think 60s. 67 switched to brown glass and earlier had white I think. I think we are pretty close.
I agree, we're pretty close. After 67 it was dark glass on bows over 40#s.

Ben Pearson introduced his Cougar in 1958 as No. 964, a 5'4" semi reflexed hardwood core limbs laminated between two panels of fiberglass, dual arrow rests with genuine leather form fitted grip. Weights to 50#s @ 28" only. Glass appears to be light brown.
In 1959 Ben offered the Cougar in two configurations. As above and new for No. 964 1959, a single sight window. 5' 4" 30 to 55#s, leather grip brown glass. There were no changes made in the Cougar in 1960.
In 1961 No. 962 Cougar gets a full view sight window and a new style modified pistol grip. 5'4" 30 to 55#s white glass. In 1962 No. 962 was available left handed for the first to as a single sight window bow. Same length and glass. 1963 No. 962's had brown glass. Still 64"
1964-66 No. 706 now has a dark hardwood riser with a contrasting white holly window beam, 30-55#s 64" white glass.
1967 No. 705 is the first 62" Cougar, has the Imbuia riser, 25 -55#s, brown glass over 40 #s
1968 No. 7050 gets a full working recurve and bubinga riser. 1969 they start using black Pearsonite glass.

elkslayer4x5

#17 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Captainkirk wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:14 am
elkslayer4x5 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:42 pm The refinisher painted the model name, number and tried the arrow with Deadhead logo. A couple of errors though, forgot to paint an arrow through Ben Pearson and forgot to fletch it. Oh, and it's backwards. :D Here's a factory decal and the painted replica.
decal and paint.jpg

sight window.jpg
Don't you hate it when they use all caps (BEN) and a mixture (Pearson) and don't take the time to do a neat and professional job?
I think that would actually detract from the value more than leaving it unmarked. Just my two cents.
I actually find it rather amusing. Give us a nice little mystery and something to talk about. :D
So what do you think? Does this Cougar have full working recurve limbs? It is on the right, the long one, the Darton Classicis next and my Hi-speed on the left
Limb curves.jpg
Limb curves.jpg (70.93 KiB) Viewed 454 times

Grizzly

#18 Post by Grizzly »

The riser in post 19 - is that the same both showing both sides? The one on the right could possibly be bubinga. Look at the Javalina on page 17 in the catalog. Just a thought. Other woods also sometimes exhibit that look also though. I had one of those Javalinas once and wasn't impressed with its performance though it was a nice shooting bow. Just slow compared to others of similar weight. Someone bought an old compound years ago and I gave him the Javalina with a few ceders. I'd guess he was going to enjoy the recurve alot more.

In that catalog is the BP- H52 with the zebra wood riser I bought. Lots of other bows in that catalog I wish I'd bought instead - or even another brand. That short 52" bow seemed to stack about an inch before I came to full draw. Short bows were the rage that year in all the magazines. Oh well. I much prefer the 54" Browning Safari 1 for a short bow. Way smoother.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/cea685e5b1aedcb ... oworigin=1
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

elkslayer4x5

#19 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Grizzly wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:54 pm The riser in post 19 - is that the same both showing both sides? The one on the right could possibly be bubinga. Look at the Javalina on page 17 in the catalog. Just a thought. Other woods also sometimes exhibit that look also though. I had one of those Javalinas once and wasn't impressed with its performance though it was a nice shooting bow. Just slow compared to others of similar weight. Someone bought an old compound years ago and I gave him the Javalina with a few ceders. I'd guess he was going to enjoy the recurve alot more.

In that catalog is the BP- H52 with the zebra wood riser I bought. Lots of other bows in that catalog I wish I'd bought instead - or even another brand. That short 52" bow seemed to stack about an inch before I came to full draw. Short bows were the rage that year in all the magazines. Oh well. I much prefer the 54" Browning Safari 1 for a short bow. Way smoother.

http://nebula.wsimg.com/cea685e5b1aedcb ... oworigin=1
"The riser in post 19..." I'm lost, I am now making post 19. In post 13 I showed both sides of the Cougar sight window, suggesting that Pearson continued with their practice of laminating a contrasting "window Beam" in the sight window.
Certainly agree about the rage of really short bows, that monster Bear created at 48", tied that bow a few time (different bow each time, and it seemed to me that the thing stacked from brace. Of course having a long draw may have had something to do with how it felt! Had to check if I still had all my fingers after that pinch! :o
Now then, what about post 17 where I show 3 bow and asked if the Cougar's limbs are now full working recurves. Are they? As it says above in post 16 ( last line) that is when the Cougar went from "semi reflexed limbs to full working recurve limbs"

Grizzly

#20 Post by Grizzly »

Yup, I meant your post 13 and to compare it to the riser in the catalog on page 17.

That is quite a hook up there. I'm no expert on bow or limb design, but I'd guess they were full working limbs.
Would you need a photograph of that bow at full draw to tell? I'd think that if they uncurled some at full draw, they'd add to your cast and arrow speed. Then again, your long draw should make that happen I'd think.

Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “New Member Check In”