Fun with broadheads

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Stay Sharp
Sponsor

Fun with broadheads

#1 Post by Stay Sharp » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:58 am

innovativeoutdoorsmanllc.com

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Fun with broadheads

#2 Post by Carpdaddy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:31 am

That was fun to watch but I did get quite nervous a few times!

Stay Sharp
Sponsor

#3 Post by Stay Sharp » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:51 am

Dale does it without gloves. That is scary. I wore protection.

Flemish Dave
Sponsor

#4 Post by Flemish Dave » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:19 am

Eye opening
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:33 am

Holy smokes!
Guess I'm gonna have to try out some Woodsman's! Wonder how my Zwickeys would stack up?
All this talk about "razor-sharp broadheads"...it would appear on the surface that a mildly sharp Woodsman would out-perform a surgically-sharp China
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#6 Post by Crazynate » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:04 pm

That was a cool demonstration. Thanks for sharing. I like woodsmans but I don't use them anymore.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Wow that was impressive. Makes me wonder why more compound shooters don't use traditional heads

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm

Longtrad wrote:Wow that was impressive. Makes me wonder why more compound shooters don't use traditional heads
Because they're buying the hype. This just proves it's all BS.
Aim small, miss small!

cap4382

#9 Post by cap4382 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:03 pm

Cool stuff. Wonder how a regular 2 blade COC head would stack up? Funny though, how these new style BHs rely on soo much force to even penetrate the hide.

Like Clay said, wonder why more compound shooters don't shoot old school COC heads? My guess is they've got soo much speed, it'd be almost impossible to tune them. Just a guess though, idk really. Been awhile since I tried tuning a compound.

Crazynate

#10 Post by Crazynate » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:52 pm

Dale Carch from 3 rivers did a demonstration like this and he also used a 2 blade razorhead which was the best one. Even compared to the woodsmans. I got my buddies shooting woodsman elite 125 grains outa their compounds and they live the hell out of em. Like Kirk says to many of those guys believe the hype.i know I did when I shot wheelie bows.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Stay Sharp
Sponsor

#11 Post by Stay Sharp » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:14 pm

Captainkirk wrote:Holy smokes!
Guess I'm gonna have to try out some Woodsman's! Wonder how my Zwickeys would stack up?
All this talk about "razor-sharp broadheads"...it would appear on the surface that a mildly sharp Woodsman would out-perform a surgically-sharp China
Mildly sharp woodsman? :o

I honed them to a razors edge. Out of the package they are pretty dull.

Here is a video of how I sharpen them.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:26 pm

Stay Sharp wrote:
Captainkirk wrote:Holy smokes!
Mildly sharp woodsman? :o

I honed them to a razors edge. Out of the package they are pretty dull.

Here is a video of how I sharpen them.

https://youtu.be/pI-wCgP_Z0U
I'm sure yours were razor sharp, Ron. 8-)
I was just commenting that all the focus these days is on "how sharp your broadheads are", rather than the actual design and function...so that the shame is on you if you don't get adequate penetration because, well..."you didn't get them sharp enough". Not that the design is inferior...which your vid clearly shows IS the case with some of them, esp. the expandable. My guess would be if you pulled a mildly sharp Woodsman out of the package without touching it, it would STILL out-perform the others due to the design rather than how sharp the edges are.
Aim small, miss small!

gettin closer

#13 Post by gettin closer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:16 pm

There were a couple of times I thought he was going to eat it. But once it got to the cut on contact head, I knew that was going to be a win.

Shadowhntr
Site Admin

#14 Post by Shadowhntr » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:17 am

gettin closer wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:16 pm
There were a couple of times I thought he was going to eat it. But once it got to the cut on contact head, I knew that was going to be a win.
A no brainer, right? :lol: I'm proud to say I've never bought into the hype of the "newest" broadhead styles....even 30 years ago I knew better! Back then the newest "rage" , pun intended, was them big beefy chisel points with tiny short and hard inclined blades....HAD to have em ta break through ribs (what????)... All the folks around me pushed them....Id just smile all the way to the meat hanging tree and I'd be touching up the razor head I'd used while the meat was cooling. It weren't long before folks started complaining about them new fangled heads performance though. Sad, the industry has had archers chasing their tails over it ever since. Notice few to none of them new fangled modern day head makers will make a true cut on contact solid point?....oh wait....thats because they're already in existance and have been for years and years. Something that old and simple CANT be more effective then the new whoop-a-dangy-robotic-self opening-self sharpening-skins ur deer for you on impact-blood gusher broadhead.....can it? :shock: :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#15 Post by Captainkirk » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Shadowhntr wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:17 am
gettin closer wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:16 pm
A no brainer, right? :lol: I'm proud to say I've never bought into the hype of the "newest" broadhead styles....even 30 years ago I knew better! Back then the newest "rage" , pun intended, was them big beefy chisel points with tiny short and hard inclined blades....HAD to have em ta break through ribs (what????)... All the folks around me pushed them....Id just smile all the way to the meat hanging tree and I'd be touching up the razor head I'd used while the meat was cooling. It weren't long before folks started complaining about them new fangled heads performance though. Sad, the industry has had archers chasing their tails over it ever since. Notice few to none of them new fangled modern day head makers will make a true cut on contact solid point?....oh wait....thats because they're already in existance and have been for years and years. Something that old and simple CANT be more effective then the new whoop-a-dangy-robotic-self opening-self sharpening-skins ur deer for you on impact-blood gusher broadhead.....can it? :shock: :lol:
Sad thing is, it's not limited to broadheads, Jase... :(
It's the whole archery hunting game. My guess would be, if I were a betting man (and I am) that Fred Bear could out-tag the majority of today's Hunting Show Heroes armed with the latest & greatest with his good ol' Kodiak Special and a couple cedar arrows with Razor heads on them.
Aim small, miss small!