In shape?

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

In shape?

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

It's been a long time since I shot a bow(months, in fact). Although looking outside would give you other ideas, spring IS on the way...and bow season with it. So, I started a program last night to get my shooting form in good shape.
I started by stringing up the old Baby Ben (35# Glass bow) and doing a dozen draw-and-holds for about a 5 second count...with each arm (even though I can't shoot leftie to save my life). It's said that even guys who do a rigorous gym workout weekly do not work the stabilizer muscles in the neck and back that allow you to hold that full-draw position. So, I figure this is as good a start as any. It's been said that you should work up to pulling and holding your regular draw weight for 15 seconds in sets of 10 or 20 to maintain peak performance. Sounds easier than it is... :shock:
What do any of you guys do (if anything) to keep your bow form fit during off-season?
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

Re: In shape?

#2 Post by stumper »

I shoot both hands as much as possible. I love shooting right hand for how crazy accurate my gap shooting has become. I love shooting left hand because of how relaxing it is to sit there and shoot instinctual. I try to not let my arms get out of shape and I work out with a sandbag because the shifting weight develops stabilizer muscles. That said, I know I can hold full draw for 40ish seconds without breaking a sweat, did it the other day in a practice session to simulate drawing back and waiting for the perfect shot without having to let back down.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Flemish Dave wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:18 am I shoot both hands as much as possible. I love shooting right hand for how crazy accurate my gap shooting has become. I love shooting left hand because of how relaxing it is to sit there and shoot instinctual. I try to not let my arms get out of shape and I work out with a sandbag because the shifting weight develops stabilizer muscles. That said, I know I can hold full draw for 40ish seconds without breaking a sweat, did it the other day in a practice session to simulate drawing back and waiting for the perfect shot without having to let back down.
For how long, Dave? (approximate)
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

I have no idea how long I can actually go before I actually have to let down from fatigue. Perhaps I'll time it.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Flemish Dave wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:51 am I have no idea how long I can actually go before I actually have to let down from fatigue. Perhaps I'll time it.
I usually do the count, "One-one thousand..." etc
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

I see what you are saying. The practice shot I was talking about, I did use a stopwatch and when it got to 40ish seconds I loosed the arrow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Normally, you brain tells you to let down when you feel fatigue start to creep in. Forcing yourself to hold to a 15-count for 10-20 reps can be torture even with a 35 # bow, but exactly what your muscles need.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#8 Post by Graps »

8-) Round is a shape. :roll:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

:lol: ^^^

Kirk I just go with it naturally. I shoot until I'm wore out virtually every session so I count that as whipping myself in shape.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

I think lots of shots with a light bow or a couple shots with a heavy bow will both work okay, if you are just talking about getting the muscles back in action.

Return to “Practice/Training”