**Finally** The never ending build a long.

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
stumper

**Finally** The never ending build a long.

#1 Post by stumper »

This thread is not going to be a carpdaddy quality type thread. This thread is gonna keep me accountable and hopefully encourage through this process of bow building. There will be pictures, probably tears, injuries?, and lots of learning. After fair amount of reading I have decided on building non backed Osage self bows as described in Hunting the Osage bow. The thread is called the never ending building a long because, I am poor (three babies to feed on a cops salary). In the next month I am going to hopefully do the following: obtain a copy of hunting the Osage bow, obtain a draw knife of decent quality, get a red oak board (from lowes) to practice drawing and draw knife technique, and purchase or find my first Osage stave.

If anyone knows where I can get these things on a shoe string budget let me know. So far eBay seems to be the place for Osage staves. The ultimate end goal is to have an "ok" self bow completed for fall deer season. Any guidance would be appreciated, let the shavings fly.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

stumper

Re: The never ending build a long.

#2 Post by stumper »

I also hope to improve my computer skills and learn to post in the correct section of this forum.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sounds like somebody is going to have fun, and maybe use some wordy-derds! :lol:
I recommend you go cheap ad possible starting, surely you can find an old hunk of wood somewhere to carve on. If you cut one be sure to seal the ends and you must wait for it to dry and that takes a lot of time. Find an old log, slab from a sawmill, or straight grained hardwood, and go at it.

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

I think I can get a red oak stave from lowes for under 10 bucks (not the best for bows, but it's cheap and will work). Hard wood straight grain and should be fairly dry. I'll see what I can do with that while I let whatever peice of Osage I pick dry.

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Wishing you well as you learn!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

I am following with intense interest...if I were to build a bow, most likely this would be where I would start. I highly recommend viewing Clay Hayes' video on You Tube about building and osage self-bow.
Rock on, Dave! :mrgreen:

PART I:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpPnlYj5NPc

PART II:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XyJ14yeEnI

PART III:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CaRB1sHVdw
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

I never could have any success with a store bought board but you might. If you could find a source for some good hickory backing strips I think it would greatly improve your success with boards. It's hard to find a board that the grain lines run the full length needed for a bow. Don't let me discourage you from trying though, gots to start somewhere.

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

Carpdaddy wrote:I never could have any success with a store bought board but you might. If you could find a source for some good hickory backing strips I think it would greatly improve your success with boards. It's hard to find a board that the grain lines run the full length needed for a bow. Don't let me discourage you from trying though, gots to start somewhere.
You're probably right. The board for lowes probably won't become anything functional. I was just thinking (maybe a waste of $8.00) getting a cheap piece of hardwood to practice carving on and drawing a design on. All the staves or osage and hickory I am finding are about 25 to 40 bucks and I don't want to ruin one right off the bat (probably gonna happen anyway.

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote:I am following with intense interest...if I were to build a bow, most likely this would be where I would start. I highly recommend viewing Clay Hayes' video on You Tube about building and osage self-bow.
Rock on, Dave! :mrgreen:

PART I:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpPnlYj5NPc

PART II:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XyJ14yeEnI

PART III:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CaRB1sHVdw

Wow Captain!!!! Those were some of the best bow building videos I have seen yet!!!!! They definitely increased my confidence and I will probably go right to an osage stave! Also got me really excited for osage bows, so I know I am building the kind of bows I want to build! Any recommendations on good inexpensive draw knives?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

dahyer wrote: Those were some of the best bow building videos I have seen yet!!!!!
I know, right? He makes it look easy. The part on tillering was very informative.
dahyer wrote: Any recommendations on good inexpensive draw knives?
Looks like he might have found his at a farm sale or...? Might check on eBay.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”