Bow tuning

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Bow tuning

#16 Post by Carpdaddy »

Shadowhntr wrote:Ever get anything figured out Tony?
I thought I had then I began noticing it again and hadn't changed anything. Something in my release I'm doing different. Going crazy here! ;)

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#17 Post by Carpdaddy »

Amoungst everything else today I made a string using B50 instead of the usual D97 fast flight material. Tied some rubber bands on instead of the usual puffs, slid them up and down trying different things. Like before; sometimes it's quite and then I get one that sounds like a dry fire. Shot at least three different times today, not good either, I was too focused on getting this bow silent again. Half my shots were three under and the other half split finger. Get quieter shots and better flight shooting split. More consistent with three under. ???? :ugeek: :idea: :oops:

Longtrad

#18 Post by Longtrad »

I guess i should direct my question about the b50 string over here. any big change ups from the FF? have you tried 4 silencers on the string?

never done it myself but seen a few rigs set up that way.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#19 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have tried four on another bow but two seems to work best when placed properly. The B50 does appear to make some difference in speed but I don't have a crono to prove it. Appears to be a little slower. But 700 grain arrows are not that fast to start with. My 600 grain 600 spine are good most of the time. It appears that the stronger spine is slapping the riser sometimes and making a whack noise, a 400 spine is worst now. So I continue shooting split and three under, split has more silent shots, three under more consistent shooting. And I continue to try and figure out how a quite bow starts having loud dryfire sounds sometimes. And as it does it begins breaking my string in the loops! I went out and made another fast flight string since I was on here earlier, this time I padded the loops. :mrgreen:

Longtrad

#20 Post by Longtrad »

oh wow, so it only goes crack every once in a while but when it does eats up the string loops too? beats the heck out of me. how is the shelf cut? Dont know if it would help but maybe trying the old lipstick covered fletching trick used to check for clearance might give you some clues.

Sounds like one of those things a feller wishes he had a good slow motion camera for.

either way, interested to see what you figure out.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#21 Post by Carpdaddy »

Okay; shot some arrows with the new fast flight string this evening. Not much time but every shot was a quite thump as it should be! Now since I made more than one change I gots ta figure out what did it! :mrgreen: I'm just happy right now! :P

Mohawk

#22 Post by Mohawk »

:lol: That's great news CD! That has got to be the sweetest feeling of satisfaction.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#23 Post by Carpdaddy »

First thing I did was to pad the loops when making this string. It is a fast flight and I added two strands of B50 in each loop. Probably not the issue but I didn't want it breaking should it continue. Second thing I caught was that I had not cut this grip as deep resulting in me shooting low wrist sometimes. When I caught myself I filed the grip a little deeper, yep I get to finish it again for the third time! I have a little piece of rubber stuck on to remind me to keep my wrist straight.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#24 Post by Carpdaddy »

Here's what I think may have done more than anything else. I did rubber silencers instead of the puff balls and spaced them according to the directions listed above in this thread. I tried first by tying rubber bands on the string and sliding them up and down. Then I dug out some fancy silicon jig skirts from my fishing tackle and put them in place. :mrgreen:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#25 Post by Carpdaddy »

Now I can focus on my shooting rather than shooting just to listen for a sound! Tried a few at 20 yards, three out of four not bad. The one to the right is a 600 spine with 225 up front. The other two 600 spines have 175 & 200 grain up front. The one 500 spine in center has 250 grain tip. Just hoping it continues, now I'm shooting three under again mostly.

Return to “Practice/Training”