Bowfishing set up

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Cody2306

Bowfishing set up

#1 Post by Cody2306 »

Hey guys sorry. It sure exactly what section to post this question. But what retriever or reel does everybody recommend for a recurve. Is there strap on ones or do I need to drill holes? I would prefer something that would strap on but are they reliable?

Shadowhntr

Re: Bowfishing set up

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'd definitely not drill holes personally.

There is a strap on gadget adapter made for trad bows. It takes the place of drilled holes for sights or fishing reels. It works very good from all I've gathered. I recommend AMS Retrieve R series for a reel. It would mount right up to the gadget adapters plate. The gadget adapter can also be front mounted for hand spools or related set ups.

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/accessorie ... -bows.html

http://www.amsbowfishing.com/bows-reels ... r-pro.html
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Cody if you look around on line you can find the reel cheaper. Cabelas and Academy Sports both are cheaper then AMS direct. I'm sure other places can be found. My boys use them and they are worth every red cent.

Cody2306

#5 Post by Cody2306 »

Awesome I'm gonna see if I can find a used one first.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

Most of us old timers cringe at the words "drill holes". :lol: :lol: My friend got one on sale at Midway ISA, probably not still on sale. A strap on.

dhaverstick

#7 Post by dhaverstick »

I've got two strap-on brackets for my bowfishing reels. One is made specifically for the AMS retriever reel and the other one is the Great Northern Gadget Adapter that I use for conventional spinning reels. Both can be bought for under $20.

Like everyone else mentioned, I cringe at the thought of drilling holes in a riser!

I much prefer my AMS reel over my spinning reel. I see that they have made some design improvements on the new ones offered like making the handle longer. I just bolted a piece of bar steel onto mine to make it longer.

No matter what reel you use, I strongly recommend using a slide when attaching the string to your arrow. Tying the string directly to your arrow is just asking to get hurt in my opinion.

Darren

Return to “Practice/Training”