A short drive on an endless road.

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

A short drive on an endless road.

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

You all have probably heard the phrase "driving me crazy". Well for me that's a very short drive, no seatbelt needed for that trip, that's my short drive. The endless road is the pursuit of the perfect bow and arrow setup. I'm never content, I continually try different arrows, weights, and lengths. Right now for example I noticed last night how many different arrows I was shooting, where there is two or more of the same arrow in my picture it is because each has a different weight point, and/or length. Arrows: CE 150's, Beman ICS 500, GT 600's, Aluminum 2213's, Heavy Hunters 500 spine, and my latest addition, Easton Epic ST 500's.
So here is my problem and it's not the arrows! I know that because I can shoot a chosen arrow one time and get a quite release and good flight. Then shoot the same arrow and get a "clank" upon release and erratic flight! Some days nearly all of one and some nearly all of the other. So it boils down to being me, or more specifically my release! I have improved my shooting some by using the draw, focus, and let down without releasing. But still doing something (part time) and can't put my finger on what it is.
To further complicate the situation let me add this... When i got my new arrows I wanted to try them right away so I put inserts in a few and headed out with them bareshaft. I was impressed right off with how silent my bow shot with them and how well they flew. I come back in and fletch a few, back out to shoot them, and the clank returned. I am going crazy again trying to figure out why feathers would do that. I have come to the conclusion that they probably don't, I likely just went back to whatever it is I'm doing wrong sometimes. Sorry for the long winded post (comes with being a minister) but I am hoping for some ideas or suggestions. :oops:
Attachments
IMG_3799.jpg
IMG_3799.jpg (113.1 KiB) Viewed 1793 times

Crazynate

Re: A short drive on an endless road.

#2 Post by Crazynate »

I know the feeling. I have piles and piles of arrows. Arro building is a passion of mine lol. Mostly carbon and aluminum and a a few sets of wood. It can be overwhelming at times because I am always trying different ones with dif bows. Some days I'll be in my basement and I'll string up 3-5 older bows from my collection just to shoot. While I can get on target fairly quickly I do feel it hurts my overall goal of wanting to be a better shot when I am using my hunting bows. I feel like that comes from lack of consistency in my gear. Different arrow weighs make arrows impact differently. Being a 100% instinctive shooter that's a lot of trajectory feedback for my brain to process and store. I know if I shoot 1 bow with 1 sets of arrows for weeks at a time my accuracy improves. So usually come august I'll put all the bows away I'm not hunting with and pick 3 for hunting and only use them until after deer season. I don't swap arrows once I have a set tuned for hunting. But the rest of the year I am always tinkering for the "perfect" set up as you describe. It's a lot of fun either way but it's way more fun when we do the find the perfect arrow and head for the perfect bow. The bad thing is I'm going off for back surgery August 9th and I can't shoot for 12 weeks or even worse yet can't pick up my 2 babies. So I'm going to be building many more sets of arrows just to keep me occupied lol. You know you have a problem when you start buying bows to match sets of arrows you already have instead of the other way around haha.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Wow Nate; thanks for that input. I don't know why I never considered how all those different weights can effect my accuracy. It's actually a no-brainer when I think about it, shooting instinctively with arrows varying from 450-700 grains has to play with my shooting. So I too will commit to one set of matching arrows come August! :idea: Until then I will continue this endless pursuit. :lol: :oops:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Tony, nothing wrong with the pursuit of perfection...BUT...when it begins to drive you bonkers, it's time to re-evaluate.
Let's say you have a half-dozen arrows you are shooting from a particular bow, out of those six one of them is like a heat-seeking missile on one shot, but off on the next (followed by a "clank!"). OK, you know that arrow is capable of being a HSM...but something (shooting form) changed. At that point, you should (IMHO) fletch up five more arrows just like it, stick a fork in it, and call it done. The problem henceforth is not the arrow, it's you.
There's a saying among gun hunters; "beware the man with one gun"...meaning, the guy doesn't have multiple windage, elevation, ergonomic features and ammunition variances to deal with; he raises the gun, sights in, and his brain makes the necessary corrections because his hard drive is not full. Same goes for shooting bows and arrows instinctively! Because you're a bowyer you have a lot of different bows, and a lot of different arrows to go with them; aluminum, carbon, cane, woodies. How can you expect your internal GPS to stabilize when it's constantly telling you "recalculate?"
How do I know this? Been there, done that. Once you find the 'magic bullet', stick with it unless you are experimenting for curiosity's sake.
Aim small, miss small!

Jose

#5 Post by Jose »

For me I am pretty loyal to my setup when I find one that works. Mainly because I don't feel I have the time to dedicate to trying various options. I feel fortunate because my bows basically shoot the same so when I switch bows for any particular reason I don't notice a change in my arrow flight. I agree with the others though that your chances of being consistent increase with sticking with the same setup. Just my humble opinion... But I bet it's fun trying everything.... :mrgreen:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

I really don't have an issue shooting different weights as long as I am shooting beyond average kill range. It's beyond around 20 that the heavier arrows begin to show up on me. :lol: :lol:
I know that my issue is in my release and that I have just got to buckle down and focus on it more. Thanks.

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

The one thing you mentioned that hasn't been hit on too much is the release. You're not the only one that came to discover it as the root of the problem and are battling it.. The thing is, it not only affects our arrow flight, but in turn it also affects our accuracy, consistency and penetration. Anytime an arrow kicks rear to the side, to varying degrees, it moves the impact point. The answer is easy to understand, buy very difficult to perform consistently.
Everything must stay in line with the arrow. Once you drop string, if the release hand in traveling rearwards is varying degrees of distance from the face it throws our arrow off balance and off target. If one time the hand is coming to rest up high, the next time down low, the next mid way where it's supposed to be, that all further compounds the arrows poor flight and moves impact point even more messing up our consistency. Just like with any sighting system we have side to side to worry about as well as up and down. If you anchor at mouths corner, The only way to get it all consistent, is the hand must stay in light contact with the face as it moves rearward from release. Then a specific point must be established for the hand to come to rest at. That point must be in line with the arrow at full draw. Then both vertical and horizontal are delt with.
I've spent heaps of hours trying to keep my hand brushing my face upon releasing. Heaps more hours trying to get my hand to come to rest at my specified point of rest. When I'm practicing, that is all I practice. The thing is, the more I concentrate upon that type release strategy, the tighter and tighter my arrows group even though I could care less about my accuracy at the moment. It was only then did I realize my internal sights, bow arm, follow through, arrow tuning, or all the rest was actually just fine and well honed and no thought need be given them anymore....but my release...now THAT was what needed to have attention desperately.

I like to practice it dry with no bow or arrow...just pretend. Don't gouged into the face when anchoring but instead just touch. Then slide the hand across the face keeping contact, and finally come to rest at the specified point. I use middle finger to the ear lobe. Do it over and over with nothing in your hands...as oft as you think about it. It gives you what it feels like and informs your brain. Then you have something for the brain to grasp besides old habits.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol you beat me to post Tony!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Yep; knowing and fixing is two different things. I catch myself releasing and waving at the neighbors at the same time. What I mean is that my release hand flies up and outward like I'm waving! :oops: I got to do some homework and focus on my release hand after release more. I think my problem is called "Plucking the string". Now somebody tell me how to stop this "waving" at the neighbors?? :oops:

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'd start with the dry excersise I described above that I added as an after thought. Then practice specifically controlling the release and abandon all else for a while.

Tony, whether you realize it or not you just stepped into a less crowded room. The average archer never even considers the release that big of deal. Others know it but refuse to deal with it. You will come out of this a much better archer I promise.

It's the hardest at first...but keep at it and over time, much time in my case, you will see improvements taking place. Gotta retrain the mind.

Return to “Practice/Training”