any one ever try a clicker?

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: any one ever try a clicker?

#11 Post by Carpdaddy »

In my younger days we would whistle (that's right and it worked) to stop a deer. These days people grunt to stop them. Maybe the "click" will serve the same purpose! :lol: :lol:
Kidding around there, I never used one while hunting, just in off season to train myself to reach full draw. I never used it as a trigger to release.
And yes 60# draw was too much. I came from the compound background and thought you couldn't harvest a deer with anything less. I didn't know anyone else at the time that was using traditional bows, and I did not know about sites like this one to learn from. I even began building bows before I discovered the wealth of information available on the linner-net! I think my first glass bow topped the 100# mark! But that's another story; sorry, got carried away. :lol: :shock:

Longtrad

#12 Post by Longtrad »

Got my clicker in the mail this weekend and after slapping it on the bow I have been playing around with it a bit in the back yard

the instructions said not to put it on the fade or the working part of the limb so that didnt leave me much room to work with. I have noticed most people mount theirs toward the top of the limb and use a much shorter string, I might disregard the instructions and set it up that way as the long dangling string is obnoxious.

I am using a few strands of bcyx for the string and I think something with more weight to it would make it more hastle free. Most people suggest using the cord they use to make D rings for compounds, I will have to keep my eye open for some of that or something similar.

I am trying to set it up a little past full draw to use as a "trigger" and aid to promote expansion during release. I have already noticed that when not using proper form to get full back tension it is really hard to make it go off, but when I get everything going right I almost touch it off too soon, so I'd say I still have some tuning to do with the clicker and my form as well.

I also noticed it is pretty sensitive to where you put the pressure on your fingers, if i flex my ring finger a bit I can make it go off early. I guess it might also help with consistent finger pressure and placement.

I'm going to keep using it for a few more days before I decide to lengthen it any or move it up on the bow, but so far it has been kind of fun messing around with it.

Shadowhntr

#13 Post by Shadowhntr »

Awesome! I'd of never thought about the finger pressure thing! One thing is certain, it sounds like that lil dude is gonna tell on a fella on a number of accounts. I'm almost too afraid to put myself under the scrutiny of a clicker...id prolly get beat up bad by it! Interesting post....keep us informed because I wanna know the whole scoop on these things as you learn with it. May need one myself!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#14 Post by stumper »

Yes I want to get better than I am. Yes I want more consistency, but my love of trad comes from the simplicity and uncomplicated shooting. Prolly no clicker for me. But keep us posted on how it works for you!!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

oscar11

#15 Post by oscar11 »

IMO, a great learning tool. You don't have to use it for hunting or 3D shooting but it's on my bow for just about all my practice sessions. Pay attention to how your back muscles feel leading to the click and hopefully you'll build some muscle memory.

Graps

#16 Post by Graps »

Never tried one. I always figured they would be worthless in a hunting situation where you are twisted around to make a shot.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Arcuites

#17 Post by Arcuites »

My new, "old" bearcat came with one. Maybe I didn't give enough time, but got rid of it after a couple sessions. Love the concept, but for me it was a distraction from trying to build muscle memory, which I know is the intent of the device. But hey, that's just me, and the great thing about trad archery and what works for each individual (See, I'm learning Capt'n!)

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#18 Post by Carpdaddy »

Everyone is different. I felt that it helped me develop muscle memory early in my Trad shooting.

Longtrad

#19 Post by Longtrad »

I think everyone should at least give the clicker a try, its a pretty eye opening tool that is easy to use and easy to remove if you get tired of it. I ended up braiding 3 different 3 strand bundles of bcy-x into a string for the clicker. this had enough heft and stiffness to not get tangled up in itself.

I like to to keep one on a bow for practice but I also like to have a bow without the clicker for more free range fun type shooting. I think it if you commit to one for a little while it will change the way you think about your draw.

Return to “Practice/Training”