A good night

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

A good night

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

I was flinging a few tonight. The first couple groups were *OK*, but nothing to write home about. I realized that for some strange reason, the arrows Shadowhntr had sent me seemed to:

a) group better than my cedars

b) go where I was looking, rather than where I hoped they would go

Soooo...I pulled my two cedars out of the mix and this was the next group.....

Now, graps, don't go teasing me about them pink feathers.... :lol:

Funny thing is, these arrows should be way over-spined for this bow (Grizzly, 45#) because they measure out at around 60#on the 'Rube Goldberg'.
I don't get it.... :?
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

Re: A good night

#2 Post by Graps »

:shock: Who could shoot pink feathers .
Kirk , your spine tester is just numbers , I'm not surprised at the spine your bow likes , in fact I would think it to be a little light .
My 43# longbow likes 70-75# and my K-Mag at 45# likes 80-85# . Explain that ?
That's why I don't mess with the numbers , it just throws too much junk in the way .
You will think " This couldn't be right " .
But it is .
If your arrows fly good , don't worry about the FOC ratio or the spine , just write down the length and spine weight and the tip weight in your notebook and for get it .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

This case has nothing to do with spine. Shadowhntr done gave them arrows Mojo! :mrgreen:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

graps wrote::shock: Who could shoot pink feathers .
I'm thinking that's why Shadow gave them to me... :lol:

graps wrote: My 43# longbow likes 70-75# and my K-Mag at 45# likes 80-85# . Explain that ?
Wow! I won't even try!
Interesting, but the facts don't lie...either a bow shoots an arrow well, or it doesn't, regardless of spine, length or other variables. Makes me wonder if maybe that wasn't the issue with my K-Hunter (the one I couldn't hit a barn door with at 20 yards?) Maybe it just doesn't like my arrows?
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote:This case has nothing to do with spine. Shadowhntr done gave them arrows Mojo! :mrgreen:
I'm wondering.... :?
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#6 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Nice group, Kirk. My y 45# A&H is shooting 60-65 spine fir arrows. Kinda weird to have to go so much heavier, but thats the way of woodies, I guess.

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

:shock: Dang Kirk....maybe you better send them arrows back to me! Lol! :lol: :mrgreen:

I think for center cut bows or beyond, 10-15 lbs of spine to the plus side is pretty common.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

Carpdaddy wrote:This case has nothing to do with spine. Shadowhntr done gave them arrows Mojo! :mrgreen:
Mmmmmmm....no. If my mojo had been applied, they would have been grouped in the dirt below the target.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

Captainkirk wrote:
I'm wondering.... :?
It's really quite simple to figure out Kirk. It's them pink fletchings. You can see em better so they know they best not miss behave.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

The mojo continues...
Shadow's mojo joojoo arrows continue to baffle me. A few from tonight's session:

Impressed me enough that I glued some nocks and field points on 3 more.

I don't care if they ARE pink.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”