Beautiful Morning

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Mohawk

Re: Beautiful Morning

#21 Post by Mohawk »

Shadowhntr wrote:Dave can I tell you my dinged limb story? I promise It WILL make you feel better....
:shock: :? :? :cry: That's a terrible story!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#22 Post by Captainkirk »

Oh, do tell!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#23 Post by Graps »

He is holding out
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#24 Post by stumper »

DO tell shadow. Do tell.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#25 Post by Graps »

Shadow , where is the story ? :idea:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#26 Post by Shadowhntr »

Oh geez....I forgot I'd replied to this...sorry fellas. :oops:

I'd just gotten my Black Widow SAIII recurve in Autum Oak, about 8 months prior to the incident. I LOVED that bow...
Anyways, at the time Ken Beck still owned the Company, and he recommended leaving the bow strung if you were shooting it regularly. So that's what I did, but the problem was finding somewhere to hang it out of the way while strung. So not long after I bought it, I put screw hooks in the ceiling of my bedroom near a window, and spaced right for equality in hanging the bow by the string while strung. Worked fantastic....for 8 months. :roll:
One day, I entered the bedroom and there she was looking all beautiful hanging there by the string. I don't know what got in to me other then I had a prideful moment. I rarely ever got to see the thing drawn, and you know how awesome your favorite bow looks powered up under the tension of the draw right? With nobody around to stroke my prideful lust, I decided to draw the bow myself for a look. I reached up, and begin pulling downward to stack the limbs. I got about 3/4 drawn hanging by the hooks, when the right hand hook tore out of the ceiling joist, and shot like a rifle downwards, striking the belly of my upper limb about midway and virtually dead center. It made a nauseating off white area the size of a marble with a deep dent in the center. Instant panic and sickness. I grabbed my stringer and relieved the pressure. Then I covered and filled the entire area with super glue. I waited 3 days before doing a thing, making sure the glue was set, and partly because I was afraid to. I strung the bow up and let her be for a bit. Then I gently started the string back. I got about 3/4 drawn and I heard it let go. I let down to see, that marble sized area had now expanded into a run almost as wide heading up the limb some 2 inches or so, and the start point at the ding was lifted off the limb looking like the up side of a teeter totter. I was sick. I had no choice but to order another set of limbs at a sum that was pushing $600. "Pride cometh before the fall"...rang in my ears HARD for some time.... :cry:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#27 Post by Graps »

:o Aaaaaaaa.......
You scared me . :cry:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#28 Post by Carpdaddy »

OUCH! Strange things can happen sometimes, that would be a sickening one for sure!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#29 Post by Captainkirk »

I would be hyperventilating... :shock:
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#30 Post by stumper »

Wow that’s terrible much worse than mine. Kid knocked my grizzly off the self yesterday. No visible damage though seems fine. I need to get a better way to store them.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Practice/Training”