Shadows 3under to instinctive challenge.

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Kamn

Re: Shadows 3under to instinctive challenge.

#16 Post by Kamn »

I shoot 3 under and have tried split but find it uncomfortable
I also shoot instinctual. But a thought about instinctual, if you think about it, its actually gap shooting but not consciously and your mind has worked out the gap naturally on its own with repetitive shooting. At least thats how I see it
Either way, I just want to be able to draw a bow, release the string and have my arrow hit the intended target (preferably something BROWN)

Cheers

Crazynate

#17 Post by Crazynate »

I shoot split instinctively. I tried 3 under and I think it's more comfortable but I like my sight picture in my secondary vision better when I shoot split.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

I have tried and used several methods, mainly due to being right handed, left eye dominant.
I currently shoot instinctive, split finger. That is my 'comfort zone' and it works well enough not to change it at the moment, but have also shot (or experimented with);
*gapping
*3-under
*stringwalking
*sight pins
While all the above have been or are the popular method at one time or another, pure and simple instinctive/split suits me best. That doesn't make it the best for everyone or the 'right way'. And it doesn't mean I won't continue to experiment. It's just 'what is', at present. As side note; even after shooting compound with release all those years, I just can't lose the uneasy feeling I have shooting 3U. I feel like the nock is clipped to the string without me having 'control' of it being pinched between my fingers. Stupid, yes. But it's there, nonetheless. I imagine this stems from an incident I had several years ago when experimenting with 3U and a not-so-tight nock clearance on my Baby Ben; when I drew back and released, the nock popped loose and jumped the string and effectively dry fired BB; the arrow dropped to the ground 3 feet in front of the bow. Fortunately, no damage occurred but I can't shake the feeling. And yes, I know...my fault for having a worn string/serving, not the shooting method.
Aim small, miss small!

Crazynate

#19 Post by Crazynate »

I hate it when accidents happen like that Kirk. One time a guy asked to shoot my super Kodiak and he used his wood arrows. When he shot his nock shattered and dry fired my bow. He felt terrible but there was no damage so no biggie. I also have had bows blow up at full draw , scary
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

Nate, let's remember that until the advent of the plastic 'snap-on' nock, every nock was probably a loose fit, making split the only reliable method of not dry firing a bow. And wooden self-bows probably self-destruct on dry-firing at a higher rate than glass bows, I would guess.
Aim small, miss small!

cap4382

#21 Post by cap4382 »

I shoot 3 under with a fixed crawl almost always now, sometimes I shoot split for fun shots @ the 3D range. I almost always aim using the arrow. That's just how I like to shoot. I'm also left eye dominant, and highly right hand dominant.

When I first started shooting trad, I was told by my mentor to only shoot split finger instinctively. That worked ok for me for awhile. 3 under has proven to be much more consistent for me, fixed crawl even more so. For me. At hunting distances (25 and in). All your doing is taking advantage of the arrows natural trajectory.

I don't care how one holds the string or aims (or doesn't aim) , whatever gives each individual the confidence they need for the shot. If I'm not confident with my shooting, I'm not going to the woods.

Graps

#22 Post by Graps »

I was going to stay out of this one but I think I should jump in.
I have taught archery for many years and when I get someone new, like Josh( USMC4life ) I don't even mention looking at the arrow.
I just have them draw back ( split ) with the arrow under there eye and tell them to just stair at the spot where they want the arrow to go.
Josh was shooting a 3 inch group at 10 yards in less than 15 minuets.

If I can't get someone shooting well that way, I explain gap shooting ( split ).

If that doesn't work I have them shoot 3U gap.

If that doesn't work, then it's sight pin.

I will also mention that split works much better for rapid shooting, like rabbit hunting. There's less chance the nock will pop off the string and you don't have time to figure out where the arrow tip is.

If someone is truly wanting to shoot instinctive, all you have to do is stand about 5-7 yards from a good sized backstop, get a good stance, hold your bow across and in front of you with an arrow nocked, stare at a spot, then close your eyes, draw up and shoot.
Just keep at it and you can adjust your left or right hits by changing your stance left or right.
When you start hitting constantly back out to 10 and 15 yards.
This technique is called "Blind Bailing".
And STOP LOOKING AT THE ARROW POINT.
Your welcome.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#23 Post by Captainkirk »

graps wrote:I was going to stay out of this one but I think I should jump in.
I have taught archery for many years and when I get someone new, like Josh( USMC4life ) I don't even mention looking at the arrow.
I just have them draw back ( split ) with the arrow under there eye and tell them to just stair at the spot where they want the arrow to go.
Josh was shooting a 3 inch group at 10 yards in less than 15 minuets.

If I can't get someone shooting well that way, I explain gap shooting ( split ).

If that doesn't work I have them shoot 3U gap.

If that doesn't work, then it's sight pin.

I will also mention that split works much better for rapid shooting, like rabbit hunting. There's less chance the nock will pop off the string and you don't have time to figure out where the arrow tip is.

If someone is truly wanting to shoot instinctive, all you have to do is stand about 5-7 yards from a good sized backstop, get a good stance, hold your bow across and in front of you with an arrow nocked, stare at a spot, then close your eyes, draw up and shoot.
Just keep at it and you can adjust your left or right hits by changing your stance left or right.
When you start hitting constantly back out to 10 and 15 yards.
This technique is called "Blind Bailing".
And STOP LOOKING AT THE ARROW POINT.
Your welcome.
Thanks, graps! 8-)
This is EXACTLY the technique I used when I shifted from gapping to instinctive. It works. Chris, if you are left eye dominant, right handed and gapping, I will assume you are closing the dominant eye to get things in focus. For some (myself included) this results in a 2D sight picture and affects your depth perception more than you think. You might want to take on the challenge offered up here and see if it works for you?
Aim small, miss small!

Longbowfanatic

#24 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Never mind. I decided not to get involved in this topic.

J. Holden

#25 Post by J. Holden »

I didn't even know there was a thing called "3 under" until I was watching a Wensel DVD and saw one of them shooting that way. I thought they're pretty good at what they do so why not give it a try. I did a little research and away I went. I was really happy with my results, at 10 yards. What I didn't care for was the noise. I know that may strike a cord with some but to me it's one of the things I obsess over is noise.

After awhile I switched back to split which is how I started from the beginning. I'm certainly not as accurate as the gap shooters and string walkers. Believe me, I envy those guys. I shoot with a good friend at the 3D shoots whose a string walker. I can't even try and keep up.

But I will say that I primarily hunt with my equipment and that is how I practice. I just don't think that style would work for me in a hunting situation. That's why I choose split. If I can get my arrows within the pie plate sized vitals than I'm happy. I'm not shooting for the 12 ring when I'm hunting.

-Jeremy

Return to “Practice/Training”