NEW POLL-Aiming Systems

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!

How do you aim?

Instinctive (no sighting method)
79%
Gapping
11%
Bow sight/pins, etc
5%
Stringwalking
5%
Fixed crawl
No votes

Total votes: 19

Captainkirk
Site Admin

NEW POLL-Aiming Systems

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

How do you aim? Instinctive? Gapping? Bow sight? Fixed crawl? Stringwalking? Tell us your preferred method and how/why it works for you.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: NEW POLL-Aiming Systems

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Coming from modern compound archery as an adult, I was used to sight pins but hated them with a passion. I was constantly doing the distance calculations in my head and trying to decide "20 yard pin, 30 yard pin, or somewhere in between?" I found it frustrating and mentally limiting' hen I began shooting trad again, I started out gapping and did quite well at fixed distances, but being right hand dominant and left eye dominant, the only way I could make the system work effectively was to close my dominant eye. I worked, but limited my peripheral vision and turned my sight picture into a 2D affair. I was peeling feathers and breaking nocks at 20 yards, but I wanted to try the freedom of going totally sight-less, so I set out to accomplish it by blank-baling using both eyes and as the grouping started to close up, I stepped back a little and did it again. After a few weeks I was back to my 20 yard distances and shooting nearly as well as I was gapping (but not quite). But I would gladly trade a couple yards for the freedom of not having to worry about making mental/visual calculations. To me, it's what makes trad "trad", along with bare bows and cedar arrows. I was sorely tempted to try doing a fixed crawl, but that would mean switching over to 3 under...which is a subject for another poll.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

I learned instinctive when I was 6 years old.
in my early twenties I learned how to shoot "PROPERLY" and tried gap and sites.
There was a very noticeable difference in how well I was shooting. :shock:
I couldn't hit a thing consistently and my confidence went out the window.
I actually stopped shooting for over ten years because of it.
Then I one day got out my K-Mag and put a new string on it, grabbed a couple of arrows and thought to myself "how did I used to do this?"
I nocked an arrow, looked at the target, lifted the bow, grew back and put the arrow right where I was looking. :o :?
Shot like that for about week and then I tried to gap shoot again. :evil:
Note to self ( DON'T DO THAT!!!!!)
Stopped thinking about the shot and the rest is history. :P
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

I started out around 9 yrs old and got my first bow. From the get go I shot instinctive but never did get very consistent. Around age 13 Dad showed me gap. I shot gap for a number of years, but back then the only way to deal with varying yardages was to guestimate....which I was horrible at. I tried sights for a short while and could hit pretty good but I wasn't satisfied. So I set out to try to master instinctive shooting....and I've shot that way ever since. I rarely shoot past 15 yards on deer, but I do practice for 20. I like seeing my arrow strike the mark, instead of concentrating on a sighting point and possibly missing that....its very beneficial for info gathering when its time to track and recover. It's simply what comes most natural for me and I'm uncomfortable doing the other forms of aiming. Since I'm strictly a hunter and do no actual range shooting, it's all I need to fulfill my needs.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

Tried a few different ways but only got worse, so I just Focus on where I hope the arrow to hit. I do begin to notice my arrow tip when shooting 30 yards and over as it comes into view. Just like to play around when shooting and stretch my comfort limits for those 3d courses. Never notice my tip when hunting.

horsebow

#6 Post by horsebow »

Instinctive for me, working on mounted archery so trying to keep it as simple as possible. Trying to do the same as I practice on the ground , look at target, hit anchor, follow through to release. Starting to work, not real fast yet, just walk and trot from horseback .

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

gap right-handed. instinctive left.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

gettin closer

#8 Post by gettin closer »

I used to shoot instinctive. However, since I have been spending more time at work and my shooting is reduced to one to two times a week, I have switched to Gap aiming to provide a more consistent experience! It is the only way I felt comfortable hunting last year to make sure I could have an ethical shot on a deer. Instinctive aiming can be done but it does require more time to practice on a consistent basis. Unfortunately, I do not have as much time as I would like to keep my skills honed.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Flemish Dave wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:07 pm gap right-handed. instinctive left.
:shock: Mark me down as totally impressed! :mrgreen:

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Carpdaddy wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:53 am
Flemish Dave wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:07 pm gap right-handed. instinctive left.
:shock: Mark me down as totally impressed! :mrgreen:

:lol: ..yeah, how do you aim when your shooting from behind your back?!?!?!!! :P
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Practice/Training”