Long range for consistency

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Dan

Re: Long range for consistency

#16 Post by Dan »

I get my close range practice in too. I practice a lot in my garage at 8 yards. I usually vary the distance between groups and sometimes between arrows. I’ve noticed in the past that if I don’t get enough close range work in I tend to miss high. Usually get some rounds in at a 3D range too. Great advise to vary distances frequently. Haven’t lost sight of the goal to be lethal at hunting distances.

Graps

#17 Post by Graps »

I practice shooting randomly around the target in anticipation of the animal randomly jumping at the moment of the shot. :roll: :roll:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Dan

#18 Post by Dan »

Way to be ahead of the game on those jumpy critters

Dan

#19 Post by Dan »

I have a little foam ball about the size of a ping pong ball hanging in front of my target in the garage that I’ll shoot at while it’s swinging back and forth.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

Dan wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:59 pm I have a little foam ball about the size of a ping pong ball hanging in front of my target in the garage that I’ll shoot at while it’s swinging back and forth.
Yeah, but do you hit it? 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

Dan

#21 Post by Dan »

Captainkirk wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:31 pm
Dan wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:59 pm I have a little foam ball about the size of a ping pong ball hanging in front of my target in the garage that I’ll shoot at while it’s swinging back and forth.
Yeah, but do you hit it? 8-)
When I get lucky.

EWill

#22 Post by EWill »

I really enjoy long range practice. We have a field course and those long range targets, up to 80 yards, can help you see where your form is lacking. I have a tendency to " get lazy " sometimes and not get my left elbow back at full draw. What I mean is, at full draw I don't have a good line from my left elbow to my bow hand. When that happens I shoot left, every time. Long range shots help me recognize that and other aspects of " lazy " form.
Besides that, you also get to watch your arrows fly. Good times.

Return to “Practice/Training”