Do you believe

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
stumper

Do you believe

#1 Post by stumper »

Do you subscribe to back tension? Why or why not.

I really liked this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOSI5D52hpE
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Longtrad

Re: Do you believe

#2 Post by Longtrad »

big time believer, gets more power in your shot, holds at anchor steadier, keeps everything in line, puts all the work on the biggest muscle and backs it up with skeletal structure. If you add that with a good draw sequence you really reduce the chance to get repetitive motion injury.

took me a while to figure it out though, had to injure myself and seek out some lessons to really get the feel of it.

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

It’s interesting. I had to teach myself back tension after years of shootint right handed. When I started left handed at the beginning of the year it was like a fresh slate but with the advantage of a lot of head knowledge. So I started from the first shot with back tension and so I feel myself slipping out of proper form a lot less while shooting left. Sometimes I’ll make a bad shot right handed and not know what went wrong. Conversely I’ll know exactly what happened when left handed. Needless to say though, back tension helps keep your body in line and sync with everything. I definitely like the concept.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

If you are in proper alignment, I've never understood NOT using back tension...I dont know how you'd keep from using your back. (when proper form is used....)otherwise it's all arm and that ain't working!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

Shadowhntr wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:35 pm If you are in proper alignment, I've never understood NOT using back tension...I dont know how you'd keep from using your back. (when proper form is used....)otherwise it's all arm and that ain't working!
Agreed.

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

I shot for over two years without good back tension. Just all arms and deltoid, I was lacking that last part of the draw when your elbow sweeps back around you and puts everything in line. I shot well enough and being self taught I thought everything was fine.

It wasn't until I started shooting heavier bows very frequently that it all fell apart and I ended up hurting a muscle in my neck and pulled my shoulder posture all out of whack.

Once I got some hands on advice it was like a lightbulb, ahhhhh so that's back tension.

I know it sounds silly but i can easily understand how people who use the "grip it and rip it" approach don't know what back tension really is because I was one of them.

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

I'm going to stay out of this discussion and just say that I will stick with the Hill method.
20181015_171350~01~01.jpg
20181015_171350~01~01.jpg (119.14 KiB) Viewed 331 times
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Dan

#8 Post by Dan »

Yep. Pulling with your back muscles is a good thing. I definitely get a cleaner release with good back tension. Clay does a great job explaining it in the video. The “pull with your elbow” is right on.

Longtrad

#9 Post by Longtrad »

Id like to hear your opinion graps, that dude in your clock pic seems to have good alignment and back tension. putting a draw pic on a clock really makes a good easy to understand visual. I think the way I used to short was more like a 12 and 5 than a straight 12 and 6

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

I agree...the clock shows perfect form.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Practice/Training”