Rubber tips and big hogs

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
jaydee2trad

Rubber tips and big hogs

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I went a friend to his deer lease to bow hunt one year. It was in the bottom lands in southern Arkansas. They had a lot of hogs and deer but it tough hunting. It was very flat land and we had several creeks to cross with small flatbottoms. I had a Martin recurve, no idea what model anymore and he had a longbow. So he and I hunted hard one day then met to do a little scouting. He began stump shooting with his bow as we eased along. I kept my hunting arrow at ready just in case. He was leading as we walked when suddenly this huge thing suddenly stood up. My first thought was a hippo because it was so big and so close. My friend immediately drew back his rubber tipped arrow but then realized what it was. I could shoot for my friend being in the way but then I really didn't want to make it mad either. As it trotted off, I remember seeing those huge "cantulopes" hanging from it's backside. I had never seen a hog that big before and didn't know that one could get that big. I joked with him about shooting it with the rubber tip arrow but he had replaced it and now had a two blade. Two weeks later, he told me that a man had been trapping hogs on the lease and had caught one that stressed out and died in the trap. He said that the biggest scales that he could find was 600 lbs and that it had bottomed them out. So no idea as to what it really weighed but it was super huge. To me it had to have had access to a good food supply. I missed a running shot on a maingy coyote that trip and was kind of glad. you just never know what you will see in the woods.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Rubber tips and big hogs

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

jaydee2trad wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:00 am you just never know what you will see in the woods.
Ain't that the truth!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”