A favorite practice

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
jaydee2trad

A favorite practice

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I really love to hang small plastic bottles from limbs or whatever to walk around and shoot. I have even used medicine bottles. I use whatever string I have, usually old fishing line. Where I can, it is a regular arrow with blunts but some places require a flu flu. I am able to change up my shots from location as well as distance. I started out years ago with 2 liter bottles but that was mainly for my son and a friend. Then we dropped down to the 16 and 20 oz bottles to make them focus harder. At a friend's pasture, we had a great course set up for several years until he passed. He and I were shooting longbows at the time. He was really short and ended up making a short bow out of osage with sinew backing. Bright feathers really help on this for arrow recovery as do the vairous small game heads. My wife gets really excited on her close calls but she comes to life when she hits a bottle. I am not a string walker, I shoot split fingered and shoot when it feels right. I have years ago gone to anchoring my middle finger to the corner of my mouth. Guess I have tried most of the anchor spots but this is the most natural for me. The cool thing about the plastic bottles is that they last a long time.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: A favorite practice

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Yes, I'm a split shooter too. Many people I know tried 3 under and string walking and rave about how great it is. I tried it, don't like it, and feel no need to apologize. Guess I'm just 'Old Skool' down to my bones. That's why I shoot trad bows to begin with.
Aim small, miss small!

joe harrod1945

Re: A favorite practice

#3 Post by joe harrod1945 »

well you are not the only ones in old school i am in your group.I have tryed them but like you said it is not natural to me.

Return to “Practice/Training”