Practicing for bunzos

Big Game not the only game in town? Talk about hunting medium and small game here!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Practicing for bunzos

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Like most of you, when I practice, I usually imagine the Prince of the Forest standing majestically broadside as I aim for the invisible pie plate...but lately, I've been getting the hankering to skewer a couple bunzos. It's been many decades since I hunted rabbits with my dad (using a shotgun, not a bow) and if tonight's practice session was any indicator of real life, Bugs has nuttin' to worry about. A rabbit on the ground makes a mighty small target, and that's if he's sitting still. It's pretty obvious I've got my work cut out for me if I'm gonna give it a try.
A deer-sized target is pretty big compared to a rabbit-sized target, and a head shot with a blunt is like William Tell shooting the apple off'n his kid's head. :shock: Oh, and they run pretty fast, too.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

Re: Practicing for bunzos

#2 Post by Graps »

Nothing to it Kirk , just shoot at the little black marble .
It's been a very long time but I used to hunt rabbits nearly every day when I was in my mid teens .
Funny thing , I started out with a 20ga shotgun .
Then my dad told me to use the .22 rifle .
The following year my dad suggested that I use my bow .
Well fast forward to about a year before my dad passed , he was telling some people about me and what I had already mentioned .
He concluded the rest of the story with me sitting right there ......
Mom and dad were sick of eating rabbits and was trying to find a way to cut down on my success rate . :lol:
Guess he should have told me to just chase them down .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

graps wrote:Nothing to it Kirk , just shoot at the little black marble .
:lol:
That right there is funny...don't care who y'are!

Well, with me, shooting at the little black marble and actually HITTING it are miles apart. But I have to start somewhere if I want to shoot pheasants on the wing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

That was too funny Graps!! :lol: :lol: If they had of told you to chase them down you would probably have given them a good run, I know I would have tried.

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Graps :lol: good stuff!

I concur Kirk. Rabbits are hard for me too. My problem is when it's cold and they are prime for hunting, they are almost ALWAYS in heavy ground cover in timber. If you dont know what Coral berry bush are, look them up. They grow tightly together in this area, and that's about as open as the bunnies get and they hang in the real heavy stuff most of the time. Now and again they'll stop in a small opening though, accounting for my few. It can be a pretty tough go even via .22 rifle. With the .22, I like a stiff sub zero wind with powder fresh snow. I can get up close more often then. Don't work so well in that condition via bow...lol
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Medium and Small Game Hunting”