Quartering game legal in Illinois?

Discussions regarding state and federal hunting laws, legal issues, interpretations, etc.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Quartering game legal in Illinois?

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

While this topic was discussed on another thread, it's pertinent to this section, so I am copy-and-pasting my response to the question (of whether it's legal) and longbowfanatic's response to my post. Very interesting and informative discussion!
Longbowfanatic wrote:
Captainkirk wrote:From Illinois Hunting/Trapping Digest, 2017-2018:

In all other counties and seasons
(pertains to firearm, muzzleloading rifle,
archery, late winter antlerless, special
CWD seasons)
• Successful hunters must register their
harvest by 10 p.m. on the same calendar
day the deer was taken by calling the
toll-free telephone check-in system at
1-866-452-4325 (1-866-ILCHECK) or by
accessing the online check-in system at
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting.
• The harvest confirmation number must be
written by the hunter onto the temporary
harvest tag (leg tag). If the condition of the
tag precludes writing on the tag in the
appropriate space (i.e., bloody, etc.), the
confirmation number shall be written elsewhere
on the tag, or onto a piece of paper
and attached to the deer along with the
temporary harvest tag.
• The deer must remain whole (or field
dressed) until it has been checked in.

Pretty much disqualifies quartering a deer.
Hi Kirk,

I thought I would throw in my two cents on the quartering of deer in Illinois. You're right. The deer must remain whole until it's checked in. That said, if the hunter phone registered the deer while in the field, the deer may then be quartered. Here are the regs from the IDNR Administrative rules. Hope this helps! :)

Section 670.55 Reporting Harvest
a) Successful hunters must register their harvest by 10:00 p.m. on the same calendar day the deer was taken by calling the toll-free telephone check-in system at 1- 866-ILCHECK or by accessing the on-line check-in system at http://www.dnr.illinois.gov. The hunter will be provided with a confirmation number to

JUNE 28, 2017 17 ILL. ADM. CODE CH. I, SEC. 670
verify that he or she checked in the harvest. This number must be written by the hunter onto the temporary harvest tag (leg tag). If the condition of the tag precludes writing on the tag in the appropriate space (i.e., bloody, etc.), the confirmation number shall be written elsewhere on the tag, or onto a piece of paper and attached to the deer along with the temporary harvest tag. The deer must remain whole (or field dressed) until it has been checked in. In instances where deer are checked in while the hunter is still afield, the deer may not be dismembered while afield beyond quartering the animal. If quartered, all parts of the carcass (except the entrails removed during field dressing) must be transported together and evidence of sex must remain naturally attached to one quarter. Evidence of sex is:
1) For a buck: head with antlers attached to carcass, or attached testicle, scrotum, or penis.
2) For a doe: head attached to carcass, or attached udder (mammary) or vulva.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Laws, Rules and Regs, Legal Issues”