The Witchery of Archery

Read any good Bow Books lately? Here's the spot to talk about it.
stumper

Re: The Witchery of Archery

#11 Post by stumper »

Good review. I also did not find it offensive the way he described his servant or the Indian guide. It really paints a picture of the time. And how about them long shots??? I also agree that the chapters on English archery are not without merit and are enlightening. The days afield with maurice confirmed two things for me. One that I was clearly born in the wrong era and two that the romance between a man and bow are an eternal romance that will never go assunder. Funny how you find things.... I literally would have never found this book if I did not decide to build my own bow and did not decide to buy hunting the osage bow book (which I have on loan to somebody on the site). The quote Torges uses in the beginning of his book was the sole reason for me looking the book up and adequately describes the feelings i have when shooting a bow that I have been unable to convey with words. Great review Kirk.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks, Dave. :mrgreen:
Yes, funny how one thing leads to another. I had been hearing about this book for years and always meant to check it out, but your review of it here was the poke in the ribs that made me click the "Buy Now" button...and so glad I did!
And yes, I forgot to expound on the long shots part...they were unafraid to take some shots that would get you tarred and feathered by the PETA bunch these days for animal cruelty, and likely bring some disapproving looks and wagging fingers from DNR and hunting ethics people in this day and age. I guess it made me realize; "If you never take a 'Hail Mary' on a deer at long distance, how are you ever gonna learn to shoot long distance?"
Sometimes I think we have boxed ourselves into a neat little corner.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#13 Post by stumper »

Yes. This book is the reason I am working to extend my range.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

jaydee2trad

#14 Post by jaydee2trad »

I read this book maybe 30 years ago, loved it then. no idea what happened to it, I probably loaned it to someone and never got it back

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#15 Post by Captainkirk »

jaydee2trad wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:27 pm I read this book maybe 30 years ago, loved it then. no idea what happened to it, I probably loaned it to someone and never got it back
It's worth reading again, Jerry!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bookshelf”