Bookshelf

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Bookshelf

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

I love a good book...even if it's not archery related. Here's a place to discuss, review and recommend (or not!) some of the tomes you are reading, or have read.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Bookshelf

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

The Battle of the Little Bighorn-Mari Sandoz

One of my favorites; so much, in fact, that I literally wore it out. Superbly written with no detail left unturned and many of the big questions answered, such as;

*Why did Custer ignore the commands of his superiors to wait before attacking?

*Why did Custer refuse the Gatling guns offered to him?

*What political motives may have pushed Custer into the above mentioned?

*Who were the key players on both sides, and who were the not-so-well-known involved as well?

These and many other questions are answered in great detail. If you have any interest in the Little Bighorn fiasco, I highly recommend this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Little-Bi ... 0803291000
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

Sounds good Kirk.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

When I find time to read a book for enjoyment, I've been taking up, "HUNTING WITH THE BOW AND ARROW"...by Saxton Pope.
It's about Saxton's encounter with Ishi, the last of the Yana Yahi tribe. This book is very detailed by Mr Pope, and gives the reader a glimps of what it meant to be what white men dubbed as a "wild indian", and much of the "Yahi mans" (ishi) teachings, still are the base we use so often in archery as we know it today. Its been a long time that I enjoyed a book as I have this one. I've even learned to hold and pull my bow string as the Yahi man taught....awesome stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Bow-Arro ... 1463744552
Everyone has their mentors/hero's they look up to in archery. I have a few...but here is my greatest.
20171017_173218.png
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Mohawk

#5 Post by Mohawk »

I haven't read a book or magazine in years, but the last book and my favorite read so far is the "Old Pro Turkey Hunter" by Gene Nunnery. This book may to go in depth on no fail tricks and tactics, but Gene does write on difficult birds he and some of his mentors hunted through the early years of turkey hunting.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Jason, I've read several articles regarding Ishi and his importance. However, I may have to read this book to find out more. Thanks for the review!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

The best book I have read about native culture was this one https://www.amazon.com/Grandfather-Nati ... randfather
It will really get you thinking .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Crazynate

#8 Post by Crazynate »

Archery insights By J. Kidwell is one of my favorite books regarding archery. He is a professor in physiology and he breaks down the whole shot process from start to finish. He also adressss shooting problems like target panic. I have read it at least 4 times. It has made me a way better shot with my recurve.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”