Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
stumper

Re: Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

#76 Post by stumper »

Graps wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:10 pm A Lyman Great Planes is probably the best production made rifle out there.
That's the one I was looking at. I don't know the first thing about all that though. Maybe someday.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#77 Post by Graps »

Hay, I'm gaining on my flinter build.
Got the breach plug installed and "clocked".
This is probably not going to be ready for the upcoming deer season. :|
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#78 Post by Captainkirk »

OOOH, pictures, pictures! We wanna see pictures!
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#79 Post by Graps »

20180703_101551~01.jpg
20180703_101551~01.jpg (31.48 KiB) Viewed 154 times
Not much to look at, but here you go.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#80 Post by Captainkirk »

Now, why does that get me all excited?
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#81 Post by Graps »

Captainkirk wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:09 am Now, why does that get me all excited?
Uh; yeah.....OK Kirk. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Grizzly

#82 Post by Grizzly »

This forum has brought me many a good laugh. You guys are good company.

I can't hardly get a knife built and finished, never mind a rifle kit with that much detail work needed.

I never thought I'd get bit by the Blackpowder bug. Some of the guys in our Sportsman's' Club had them, but they looked like alot of work plus the thought of having black powder laying around the house worried me.

I still smile as I remember how I got started. I hadn't hunted for years when our family was young and I worked long and hard. When I changed jobs in the early 90's the service manager was a deer hunting fanatic. We started hunting turkeys the same year and he loved fishing. All his talk got me started again. One lunch hour, I couldn't take it any longer and headed for our State Conservation Dept to see if they had any deer tags left for the coming season. All they had were blackpowder tags and I didn't have a blackpowder firearm, but bought a buck and doe combo tag anyway. On the way back to work, I had to stop at a light and up alongside me stops a friend from the club. I told him what i did and that I had no idea what I was going to do next. He told me to come over to his house that night and he'd fix me up with something. Wow! That night he said I could use his favorite TC Renegade percussion .50 that was super accurate or a TC Hawken that was shot out and had no accuracy. Duh? The Renegade? Man could that thing shoot. I fooled with round ball and some conicals and finally settled on a 180 gr Hornady XTP in a T.C. sabot that was accurate out to 145 yards. Really accurate! I shot a nice doe that first weekend and would have most likely shot a nice buck also if it hadn't been for some yay hoodie at my second job who concocted this fable that Conservation was ticketing anyone shooting .429 inch bullets since the law stated they had to be .45 caliber. Being a borrowed gun, I was afraid to gamble, so after the doe, I switched to a .45 sabot and the accuracy dropped way off. A buck came towards me the next day and when he stopped at about 70 yards or so, I would have shot with the original load I had so much confidence in. But with this new load I decided to wait till he got closer. Well, something spooked him in the woods and he turned and ran. I'm still a little unhappy with that guy because every Conservation Officer I asked after that had never heard of such a thing.

My friend wound up giving me the TC Hawken with the shot out or ruined barrel. I experimented with everything I could find for something that would have any sort of accuracy and finally discovered that it liked the Buffalo Ball-etts with a moderate powder charge of Black Powder. It had decent accuracy out to 80 yards. I hunted with that for quite a few years and always enjoyed packing it. It did get a might heavy over a long weekend but that really didn't deter me. That set trigger was remarkable. I almost bought a Green Mountain barrel for it once while I was at the Cabela's Bargain Cave up in Minn., but I'd recently been given my Dad's Huskvarna 30-06 and bought a variable scope for it instead. I never could bring myself to ask TC to warranty the barrel.

Years later, I went to the dark side. Literally. I saw an add from Sportsman's Guide or Warehouse? online for a blued/black stock Knight disc Elite for cheap money for a .50 Disc Elite with a tapered barrel and no sights. The scope went on that and it replaced my shotgun here in Illinois and became my "meat gun". I could enjoy my archery season and have not a care in the world about filling the freezer that year. I kept three families in venison for years from that farm in Pike County.

I think I still enjoy getting that TC Hawken out of the closet more than all the rifles I have, just to pull the set trigger and enjoy how she holds so steady on target when I pull the other trigger. Then again, the Winchester 30-30 Canadian Centennial Commemorative with it's 26" octagonal barrel and peep sight gives it a run for the money.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#83 Post by Captainkirk »

Grizzly wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:55 pm This forum has brought me many a good laugh. You guys are good company.
That's one of the nicest things I've heard on this forum. :mrgreen:

Glad to know there's another powder-finger in the bunch.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#84 Post by stumper »

Y'all making me want to get the bug...

stumper

#85 Post by stumper »

Lymann deer stalker any good?

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”