Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

OK, sulfur-sniffers; here's the place to talk about another kind of trad...Black Powder.
I've been fascinated with historical firearms since I was a kid. I got my first black powder revolver back in 1983 and probably have close to 20 now. While I've not hunted with any of these, I have a Lyman .50 cal "Hawken"-style half-stock Trade Rifle that I HAVE hunted with for several seasons, much for the same reasons I hunt with a trad bow. It's as our ancestors did, and they survived. You get one good shot, so take your time and make it good. It seems many of the trad archery hunters I've talked to either gun-hunt with black powder also, or would like to. If you be one of us, jump on in...
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

Re: Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

#2 Post by Graps »

Interesting thing with BP shooters. Some archery enthusiast enjoy watching the arrow in flight. I have known some BP shooters that like to see the cloud of white smoke.
I enjoy the unique sound of the pop bang.
Several years ago my friend Mike and I would shoot BP shotguns at clay pigeons. One of us would shoot and the other would throw.
It would go something like this........
" Pull.....(Boom)... Did I get it?"
And we would tromp around in the winter time with those shotguns and we took several rabbits, grouse and squirrels.
Was agreat time.
I have also had the privilege to know a few custom gun makers and watch them build rifles from scratch, not from a kit. That was awesome.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

graps wrote:Interesting thing with BP shooters. Some archery enthusiast enjoy watching the arrow in flight. I have known some BP shooters that like to see the cloud of white smoke.
I enjoy the unique sound of the pop bang.
Several years ago my friend Mike and I would shoot BP shotguns at clay pigeons. One of us would shoot and the other would throw.
It would go something like this........
" Pull.....(Boom)... Did I get it?"
And we would tromp around in the winter time with those shotguns and we took several rabbits, grouse and squirrels.
Was agreat time.
I have also had the privilege to know a few custom gun makers and watch them build rifles from scratch, not from a kit. That was awesome.
It's an art, that's for sure. There's nothing quite like a Pennsylvania long rifle flintlock with a tiger maple stock to knock your socks off! I have stuck primarily with BP revolvers as they fascinate me, but I do appreciate the long guns and "rock-locks".
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

I had a Ruger Old Army years ago and I took a few rabbits with it.
But my true love it a good flinter.
It's funny, I was at a shooting range years ago and a guy came up and stood on line to my right.
I told him that he should stand to my left.
Very cocky he said he can stand anywhere he wants to.
So I touched off my flinter and he then wanted to stand to my left. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not sure, but I think he might have had some hair singed.
My buddy Mike almost couldn't catch his breath laughing.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I have a Lyman Great Planes flintlock on order and I got a call from the place today.
They don't have one and can't find one.
They contacted Lyman and they can't send them one for a couple months.
Oh well, the weather isn't going to be all that great for a couple of months anyway. :? :|

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Let me check my sources...
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#8 Post by Graps »

That's alright Kirk, it is a very good deal that I'm getting and besides I can wait.

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

That gun is worth the wait
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#10 Post by Graps »

I wonder where I could get a custom leather gun case for my new flinter?

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”