Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

#61 Post by Captainkirk »

By the way; anybody with an interest in these type of revolvers, or any black powder gun for that matter...we are not talking a ton of money here. Replicas (not originals) are easy to get and very reasonable. Most states don't even require an FFL paperwork transfer. If you purchase used (not recommended unless you are experienced) you can buy them even cheaper. Shooting supplies are very inexpensive compared to CF cartridges and if you cast your own like I do, cheaper yet. There are a number of enthusiasts that even mill their own powder. It's a very enjoyable sport to get into, without a lot of stuffy snobs or "Terminator" types involved...very much like trad archery in a way. I've been involved with BP since I was a kid, and bought my first replica in 1983 (an 1858 Remington replica revolver) I've always been interested in history, and the BP revolvers played a small, yet vital role in the settling of the frontier as well as the resolution of the North/South conflict. The first commercially successful BP revolver was the Paterson Colt model of 1837, and by the end of the Civil War (1865) cartridge handguns were working their way to center stage to all but eclipse the percussion revolvers in a short time. Yet the role they played in this country's development was pivotal and crucial.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#62 Post by Shadowhntr »

Tell me about it. That's why I transferred hundreds of pics out of there, then deleted them and my account. If you can't do anything but look at them yourself(at least without paying extra)...whats the point?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#63 Post by Captainkirk »

And here's the REALLY scary part. Apparently the reason they were able to pull these shenanigans was that somewhere along the line, each account user "agreed" (through electronic sleight of hand) to transfer ownership of these photos to Puke Bucket, probably by clicking on "I Agree" somewhere down the line... Which means, even though you've transferred the images elsewhere and deleted your account...guess what? The images you 'gave' to PB are now their property and can be used when and how they choose.
Ain't that nice?
We good really use a nice olde-tyme hangin', boys.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#64 Post by Graps »

:shock: So, I have ordered a flintlock rifle kit. It's not a screwdriver kit, I'm going to have to do some machining and wood fitting.
I will also need to clean up the cast parts and fit and polish them.
I sure hope it turns out OK. I've never done this sotra thing before, but time will tell. :?
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#65 Post by Captainkirk »

It's not that hard.
Go slow, take your time and remember; you can't put metal back on.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#66 Post by Graps »

Oh yes I can, I have a magic TIG welder. :lol:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#67 Post by Graps »

My wife told me I have a very long box that came today. And she said its heavy too, so she just slid it in the door and it's laying on the floor.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#68 Post by Captainkirk »

:mrgreen:
Now, I wonder what that could be? ;)
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#69 Post by Graps »

Had a few minutes to open and look at it.
It's not going to be a slap it together project.
The sites need to be machined as well as the barrel.
Then the barrel channel will need some tweaking along with the pocket for the tang of the breach plug. And the pocket for the lock.
The butt plate and set trigger are on back order so I have no idea what needs to be done with those.
The stock is very nice maple with some nice figuring.
Now to find the time to get working on it.......

Graps

#70 Post by Graps »

Was going to start on it and the breach plug is the wrong size and I don't like the under lugs.
So I sent the parts back that I'm not going to use and I'm going to make my own breach plug and the under lugs that I want.
It's handy to be a Tool Maker sometimes. :lol:

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”