Success during Missouri's squirrel opener

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
dhaverstick

Success during Missouri's squirrel opener

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

Squirrel season opened this past Saturday in Missouri and Ole Betsy and I were out there bright and early to help thin the herd. It was hotter than seven kinds of hell so the bushytails weren't that active but I managed to bring a few home over the long weekend. They can generally be found right off my front porch in my bird feeders but killing those is just too easy. If one is out there when I walk out with Ole Betsy, I always give them a headstart before I go after them. I'm still not too proud to shoot one from the porch every now again, though. A man has to defend his property!

The gun I use is a 12 gauge cylinder bore made by my good friend, John Pruitt. It has a large Siler lock and a 42" Colerain barrel. My squirrel load is 60 grains of 3F powder, 1 overpowder card, 1/4" lubed fiber wad, 1 1/2 oz. #6 shot in a pillow ticking shot cup, and 1 overshot card.

The last squirrel I shot fell out the tree and almost landed on top of one of my beehives. That could have been interesting...

This ole boy was packing a serious load! I guess my hearing is getting bad because I should have heard those guys dragging on the bark as he went through the tree tops. I might have to pressure cook him a while.

Darren

Graps

Re: Success during Missouri's squirrel opener

#2 Post by Graps »

Nice.
Brings back memories of my friend Mike and I, we went after all kinds or cridders with our smoke polls. :D
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Nice, Darren! And wow, what a sweetheart 'Ol' Betsy' is!
I love the smell of black powder in the morning...
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

I sure have ate my share of those critters, my Dad took me out regularly after them, been a while now since his passing, good memories. Beautiful picture and gun!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”