FINALLY! Pics of WW II Dog Tags Found Metal Detecting

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
jaydee2trad

FINALLY! Pics of WW II Dog Tags Found Metal Detecting

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Percy Scharch military marker.jpg  YES.jpg
Percy Scharch military marker.jpg YES.jpg (132.07 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Percy Scharch and wife.jpg YES.jpg
Percy Scharch and wife.jpg YES.jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Orval Bailey.png
Orval Bailey.png (332.53 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Orval Bailey uniform and tag.jpg YES.jpg
Orval Bailey uniform and tag.jpg YES.jpg (37.23 KiB) Viewed 790 times
James Bertram yes.jpg
James Bertram yes.jpg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 790 times
James Bertram YES (2).jpg
James Bertram YES (2).jpg (42.83 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Attachments
Percy Scharch tombstone.jpg YES.jpg
Percy Scharch tombstone.jpg YES.jpg (79.56 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Percy Scharch tags 2.jpg YES.jpg
Percy Scharch tags 2.jpg YES.jpg (40.42 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Orval Bailey tag.jpgYES.jpg
Orval Bailey tag.jpgYES.jpg (77.08 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Michael Stager tag.jpgYES.jpg
Michael Stager tag.jpgYES.jpg (77.64 KiB) Viewed 790 times

jaydee2trad

Re: FINALLY! Pics of WW II Dog Tags Found Metal Detecting

#2 Post by jaydee2trad »

These 4 men were just a few that had stopped here in Mena for some time to train and gather before going to Tx and La for more training before going to North Africa to fight under Patton. These dog tags were found by myself and my wife as we detected an area not far from the RR tracks. Back then everyone traveled by train. We found Collar Dsiks for Infantry, Artillary, Combat Engineers and more. I found a silver Rifle Marksman medal as well as numerous other items. Fired brass: 30-06, 38 Sp, 45 ACP, 30 Carbine and even 50 cal rounds. also found were some in very bad shape were various loaded rounds. Several of the families were super excited to get these dog tags returned as they were actually the originals. Some were volunteers, some drafted as the info on the tags were different. The amazing thing was that all 4 of these men made it back home and lived to get old. In this world that is quickly losing it's idenity and patrism, it was awesome to be able to return these tags to their faimlies across the United States. Only one family had hard feelings about their father (guess he came back with bad problems). they actually hated their father. One woman still had her father's uniform(from Idaho) and was elated enough to send us a Christmas gift in thanks. Another, a grandson, was so excited that he kept contacting us via emails until after 2 in the morning here in Arkansas. He was able to give them back to his father. And we found other relics as well but war time relics from war time heroes are the best. It took my wife about four hours to finally get these pics loaded and had to do them on her laptop. She had to figure out how to downsize them. I am now too challenged electronically to do this from the strokes and ruptured brain aneurysm. But we finally got it donw for this. hope you enjoy them. Jerry and Betty

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

That would certainly be a cherished keepsake. I can see how much satisfaction you both gained from finding them and then returning them to the families.

I have my Dad's tags from WW2 that he gave me along with his medals and also my Grandfather's from the Spanish American War. Mine are in the box now also. After Dad passed away I carried his dog tag with me on my key chain for a year or two.

I still have my dog tags but don't have my dog tag chains anymore. I loaded them into a .30 caliber M2 Carbine round and shot them at a rat while on guard duty in VN. Wish I had it on video, I'd have put it on Utube. Rat went straight up in the air a foot or so, turned upside down and then fell to the ground and never moved again. Sad thing is, I couldn't talk anyone else out of their dog tag chains........ :(

I wish someone would find my old unit Zippo lighter from VN. It had the U.S. Army unit emblem I was assigned to along with time of service on one side and the Vietnamese 7th Division that we were advisors to on the other side of the lighter. I left it in a restaurant back in the summer of 1969.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Nock

#4 Post by Nock »

Wow that’s awesome story. Good on you to return them.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Hill billy

#5 Post by Hill billy »

Now that’s cool! After all what are the chances of recovering such an item? Good job!!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”