My goat rabbit dog

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
jaydee2trad

My goat rabbit dog

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

Years ago I had several half beagle and basset dogs that I rabbit hunted with. I also had a couple of beagles that I had kept in a cage as pups with some rabbits. They were quite the rabbit dogs and I loved to hear them work the rabbits. Where I lived, my dogs ran free and hunted the local rabbits all of the time. I also had a male pygamy goat named Jeremiah. Jeremiah went everywhere with the dogs and really thought that he was a dog as well. He was a better watch dog than the dogs were and would stomp and bleat to get their attention that someone was coming. He also went every step with the dogs as they trailed a rabbit, you could hears each dog excitedly barking on trail as well as a goat bleating with them. People driving by would see the dogs working the rabbit but then see the little goat going everywhere that they went like he was one of them. They would come back and tell me what they saw and I would smile. The only times that he remembered that he was really a goat was when a bear would come thru and suddenly he was gone. I had several big blue plastic 55 gallon drums with a rather small hole cut in one end that the dogs could just get in thru for their houses to sleep in. Jeremiah would somehow get into one of those to get away from the bear. Jeremiah wasn't a skinny goat either and I don't know how he managed to get inside. The first time he did it, I just knew that I was going to have to cut a bigger hole to get him out. By the time I returned with a saw, he had gotten out. Another time I could hear some dogs barking treed on a squirrel back behind the house and I could hear the goat with them. Well, we didn't have any treeing dogs so I grabbed my pistol and hurried back there. The dogs were jumping up high for the squirrel that they could see and there was Jeremiah jumping and bleating with them. Suddenly one of the bigger dogs realized that the goat was with them and stopped to attend to him. They weren't my dogs but I didn't want to hurt them either so I fired a shot over their heads and sent them running. I finally got a Corsican ram to be with him and after some serious head butting, Jeremiah decided to be buddies with him. People had told me that they had seen my dogs about a half of mile away chasing rabbits with a little goat with them. Never know what you will see out in the woods.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: My goat rabbit dog

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Great story! :D

Didn't they write a song about your goat?

"Jeremiah was a goat-dog
Was a good friend of mine
Never understood a single thing he said
But he chased them rabbits fine"
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#3 Post by Greg Felty »

Loved the story. :D :D :D
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Hill billy

#4 Post by Hill billy »

Reminds me of a fellow who told about a pig that ran with his dogs. The pig also thought he was a dog. He probably weighed in at about 400lbs. One day the mail man spotted them all running around out of site to the back of the house. He explained to the owner of the place that he had just seen by far the largest dog that he ever seen. :lol:

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

Capt, every time the Pastor tells us to turn to the Book of Jeremiah, that song pops into my head :shock:
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

jaydee2trad

#6 Post by jaydee2trad »

One of my uncles that lived down the road a ways, told me that he had heard the dogs running a rabbit and tried to head them off. He managed to see a large swamp rabbit go flying by as he hurried to a good spot. Then he told me, "You're not going to believe this, but when the dogs came thru, there was a little fat goat with them." I grinned and told him, "Yep, my dogs and my goat...he thinks he is one of them." That little goat had to head but that ram for several hours and it was funny to watch. the ram was a lot bigger and the goat would stagger around for a bit before doing it again. They were best buds until a mountain lion got the ram.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”