Pistol Hunting

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
jaydee2trad

Pistol Hunting

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I have always loved to shoot pistols and to hunt with them. Enjoyed the semi's from center fires to the 22s, mainly Ruger Mark from the standard to the target 6 inch bull. Single actions center fires were mostly Ruger as well, mainly the Blackhawk but one Redhawk for a little while. Single action 22 were Ruger Single Six in both 22 LR and 22 Mag. plus Ruger Bearcats. In single shots, lots of TC Contenders with the 357 Max being my last one and still hunt with. But I have also hunted and taken deer with several 50 cal muzzle loading pistols, mainly Traditions. Since I have reloaded since 1974, I reloaded everything including 9mm for a Smith and Wesson 39. I had numerous Smiths and Colts as well as various other makes. But I just love pistol shooting and hunting with a handgun is just a big time bonus. The last 44 was a Taraus, it took a big doe. I loved the compactness of a pistol, even a scoped TC Contender and they were great for slipping along or being in a tree stand. The TC is an easy 200 yard gun which is nice but I never shoot that far with a pistol except on coyotes and maybe a hog. Pistols can be so easy to carry and deal with.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Pistol Hunting

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Got a friend that does it, don’t know what he shoots, big one though, he called it his hog leg. I only own one pistol, traded a longbow for it, shot my first and only two shots out of it this year, had it several years. I’m just old and set in my ways, I only hunt with my longbows, haven’t fired but the two shots just mentioned in many years. But sounds like fun for those who enjoy shooting pistols.

Greg Felty

#3 Post by Greg Felty »

I own a Ruger security six haven't shot it in years. I gun hunted for 1 year back around 1981. I have only bow hunted since then.I have to go to the range to shoot the revolver so i haven't shot it for years.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

jaydee2trad

#4 Post by jaydee2trad »

Guess I am spoiled, we have a range about 15 miles from here in the National Forest but I can go shoot a lot closer than that in the woods and even on our land. Had a Security Six also at one point. I coon hunted at night for years with a 6" Single Six.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

While I have a number of handguns "suitable" for deer hunting, I have one that was made for it...a TC Contender "Hunter" package chambered in .35 Remington with 14" barrel and muzzle brake, sling and topped with a scope. Ive taken it afield several times but never taken any game with it. It's light, maneuverable, and accurate.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

If I was buying a handgun for hunting it would have to be a TC Contender. I had one in the mid 80's, a 14" 30-30 that at dusk would flash an orange glow in the scope and then make me laugh as I'd see all the grass in front of the shooting bench still moving back and forth. Traded that for one in 7mm TCU which uses .223 brass necked up to 7mm. Now that one was way more accurate. Often rounds would be touching at 100 and about 1 5/8 at 200. They were both bought for the Masters event back then and I didn't hang on to them. The trigger job on the 7tcu was fantastic. What I wished I bought though was a nice older .41 mag that had that wooden scooped out forend they used to come with and the rear sight at the very back of the receiver. But alas, I chose the 30-30 for its better 200 yard zero. The match had us shooting anywhere from 75 yards out to 200 at different size steel plates in a timed event.

When I hunted, it was with a Ruger 7 1/2 Hunter model with a scope in .44 mag. I used 180 grain Hormady xtps loaded hot. It was a nice combo but the TC would have been more accurate with a little better trajectory..

Never did scope the Ruger MK2s for hunting. I have a brand new Simmons 7x32 when they were made in the Philippines back in the 80's. If you shot their brand in the Masters they would give you the scope and sometimes two. I 'd wanted one of their variables but they were out of them.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”