Hard lesson learned.

Big Game not the only game in town? Talk about hunting medium and small game here!
stumper

Hard lesson learned.

#1 Post by stumper »

Just shot a squirrel with new bow. Good solid hit and squirrel ran right up a tree with arrow and all. Decided to not hook up string tracker this time. Hard lesson learned.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Crazynate

Re: Hard lesson learned.

#2 Post by Crazynate »

Those little guys are tough lol. I have had em take my arrows up trees never to be seen again.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

I seen ol Jim hit one, one day YEARS back. It was a close shot maybe 5 yards and on the ground. When the arrow hit I thought he dead centered him. All you could see was a blurry grey ball of fury and an arrow flopping about wildly. It lasted several seconds then suddenly stopped and the squirrel was on his feet. That's when we noticed the arrow struck a bit from the base of the tail and in the tail it's self. Squirrel stood still for a few seconds, then ran for a nearby tree arrow and all. He started up it and made it up to head high or more before Jim caught up to him. He grabbed the arrow at the last second and pulled him off the tree and whacked him in the noggin. We laughed a long time over that incident!
They will carry an arrow up a tree in a striped butt second, thats for sure!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Update. Found arrow about 10 feet from hit, no squirrel. So tracker might not of helped, but the silver lining is I am consistently hitting squirrel sized game. I have shot at squirrels three times this season and have two confirmed hits. I think that’s pretty good
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

That’s far above my track record with them! I’ll just not go there. The best tip I ever got was to shoot right where you think they are going to be once the sound of the shot reaches them. You got to guess if they will jump up, forward, or.... :lol: But if you are a bad shot just aim at them and hope the miss is where they jump. They are quick! Kind of like the fishing with a jig tip a fellow gave me once. He said the key is to jerk just before they bite! :ugeek:

Longbowfanatic

#6 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Carpdaddy wrote:That’s far above my track record with them! I’ll just not go there. The best tip I ever got was to shoot right where you think they are going to be once the sound of the shot reaches them. You got to guess if they will jump up, forward, or.... :lol: But if you are a bad shot just aim at them and hope the miss is where they jump. They are quick! Kind of like the fishing with a jig tip a fellow gave me once. He said the key is to jerk just before they bite! :ugeek:
Now that there is funny!

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

:lol: :lol: :lol: yes it is! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#8 Post by Graps »

What kind of head are you using?
I use Ace Hex Blunts and if you get them in the chest cavity, it will shock them very good and they stay put.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

I bought some of those 3Rivers Bunny Busters for my woodies. They slip on right over the tapered shaft end, no glue needed. I shot some at a gallon jug of water and they flew surprisingly straight and the hydro shock was devastating. I haven't hunted with them so can't speak for terminal performance yet.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

Well, at least you got back the arrow, I have always heard them buggars are tough

Return to “Medium and Small Game Hunting”