bamboo arrows?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Longtrad

bamboo arrows?

#1 Post by Longtrad »

does anyone have experience with boo arrows? I ordered a dozen and I am thinking of how I want to build them. they come 33 inches long, I will be excited to see how well they spine and how close they are in weight.

they are a little skinnier than 5 16th, I am hoping the nocks and glue on points will fit well without too much wiggle room.

stumper

Re: bamboo arrows?

#2 Post by stumper »

No worries experience but please post yours so we can read about it.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

I have made a few but I was told to use 3/8" diameters.
They are suppressing easy to straighten using heat but you do want to sand the joints down near flush.
Also they are surprisingly forgiving on the spine. It's like they can be as much as 20# off and still shoot good.
Use bamboo skewers to plug the end so you can taper cut for mounting arrow heads.
A good source to find the bamboo is at a garden supply store.
Just have a 3/8" open end wrench in your pocket to select the sticks.
Oh, I almost forgot, they will be tapered and you want the big end at the arrow head end and the skinny end is for the nock and fletching.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Dan

#4 Post by Dan »

I don’t have any experience but I believe Clay Hayes has a good video on how he makes bamboo arrows.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Check with Carpdaddy.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have built several and played around with various ways, but still have much to learn, please post your progress. I was pleasantly surprised by how well they shoot even though some my look like a dogs hind leg.

Return to “All about arrows”