What happened to fletching glue?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Kamn

Re: What happened to fletching glue?

#31 Post by Kamn »

I say we just get rid of all the safety labels and let things naturally sort themselves out.........maybe I should have kept that to myself.

I was fletching my carbons 2 weeks ago and I swear the "fletching glue" is just super glue.....smells exactly the same

Shadowhntr

#32 Post by Shadowhntr »

Essentially Kamn, some of that stuff is just super glue gel. I use Gateway G2 some, and its the same super glue like stuff.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#33 Post by Longtrad »

So far I like fletch tape and superglue the best. I have been using the cheap bulk superglue places from harbor freight. Pretty cheap

The fletch tape will get the real test this summer when it started climbing above 100 degrees I have heard of heat failure with it.

Shadowhntr

#34 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ive read about it too. However I shoot through the hot summers here in Kansas with no problems. Granted, I do not shoot in the hottest part of the day, but its still dang warm in late afternoon here. Ive read where tape slips from arrows being in a hot car....well I personally don't make a habit of leaving my arrows in a vehicle in summer. Most times my arrows and bow go the same places, and that is a great way to ruin a nice bow. Ive had my arrows hold up fine in the Heat of Arkansas too, but once again, I dont leave them out in boiling hot sun. Pretty much if im able to shoot and stand the heat, the tape has held up. I do use a drop of cement on each end of the fletching though to tie it in.

REDTAIL

#35 Post by REDTAIL »

I've read some good things about using Gorilla's Super Glue, For Fletching also, Going to give it a try next.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#36 Post by Captainkirk »

Only issue I have with Gorilla Glue is that sometimes you WANT to remove fletching (to repair or replace) and it can become an issue getting rid of the residue.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#37 Post by Shadowhntr »

With super glue types, it's not only harder to remove, but it also causes hazing around the fletching on the shaft as it dries. I don't think it hurts anything but it sure is ugly.

Crazynate

#38 Post by Crazynate »

I use fletch tire platinum on any arrow that has a lacquer dip and I use gorilla glue gel for any carbon or aluminums without a dip which isn't often because I dip all my arrows.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Shadowhntr

#39 Post by Shadowhntr »

I've had great luck with the platinum too. Good stuff.

Return to “All about arrows”