What happened to fletching glue?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Carpdaddy
Site Admin

What happened to fletching glue?

#1 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have been using the tape for many years now but mine got old and instead of ordering more I thought I would just pick up a tube of glue locally, yea right! I use to pick it up at any of the local department stores but none of them carry it anymore. Finally in a nearby town I found what I considered to be a baby tube. Last big tube I bought was around $3, I paid more this time for a tube that wouldn't fletch a half dozen arrows! And it ended up being super glue! :roll: Finally found a big boy tube in a sporting goods store but I sure had to pay for it. On wood I always used duco which I picked up for a buck locally, don't know if that is still possible or not. So what are you guys using and where do you get it?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: What happened to fletching glue?

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

I'm using the tape but gluing the ends down with Fletch-Tite...available at Bass Pro, or 3Rivers, or Lancaster, or....
Aim small, miss small!

alphamale

#3 Post by alphamale »

hey there carpdad, i been yusing crazy glue for the last 10 years, works as good as any fletching glue out there, the best one i found so far is gorilla super glue, for bout 4 dollars at wall mart you can fletch 4 ta 5 dozen arrows, hope this helps,,ALPHAMALE

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

I've used the super glue as well .
It holds good but on my poly woods there is a clouding of the finish along the feathers .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

I get that white clouding on my carbons, I don't care for the smell either. I was just surprised to find that the glue I used years ago had over doubled in price and had become harder to find.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

If you buy online, they will likely throw in some sort of hazmat fee on the shipping charges.
That's why I will pay Bass Pro's inflated pricing and walk out of the store with it.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Finally found mine at Dicks Sporting goods.

Tom M

#8 Post by Tom M »

You should be able to find Loctite super glue in the blue top bottles at the home stores. Sorry to say Ducco is getting hard to come by unless you want to visit a True Value or Michaels craft stores. Wally Mart no longer has it at least here in Zonie Land. Tape turns to goo in summer here so not a fav. Fletch tite, the standard for alum and for use with Bohning Laq. has been repurposed for carbons.
I use Saunders NPV glue. Works for all shafts, finishes. The conspiracy theory about why glue costs so much is EPA rules. Unfortunatally there is more truth than fiction to the theory.
To avoid some of the cost, glue plus shipping, I usually add a tube to my orders. I did find that one of our local shops carries it as well.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Just don't use Super Glue on your broadheads. Ask me how I know.... :shock:
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

Or paint your broadheads, now where did I learn that?

Return to “All about arrows”