What happened to fletching glue?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: What happened to fletching glue?

#11 Post by Captainkirk »

It was a good theory.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#12 Post by Graps »

I'm guessing that the glue has gone by the wayside because of the slip on fletching they now have .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#13 Post by Shadowhntr »

I use duco a lot on my woodies, and with the finish i use, i have to use it, or tape, or nitrocellulose. I have found it on occation here at Ace hardware stores, but most times I order it from supplies stores like 3R or Kustom King. 3R sells it for ball park $3.75. I think Ace was closer to $5 but is the big tube and no shipping. Definitely harder to find and more expensive then it was several years ago, but I think its still worth it for as many arrows as i can build with a tube.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#14 Post by Carpdaddy »

I still have duco for my wood and cane arrows but it doesn't do as well on carbon, never tried it on aluminum. I still get some type of weird enjoyment out of hunting with my cane arrows but carbon makes things so much easier that I use them most often.

Shadowhntr

#15 Post by Shadowhntr »

In my experience, duco and aluminums dont play well together. Seems to pop right off after a very short time.

Longtrad

#16 Post by Longtrad »

I can get duco here anytime for a bit under 3 bucks a tube, I like fletch tite better though. Super glue has worked well for me but i hate getting it on my fingers.

I think my next go I will try tape and then just add a dab of glue or epoxy on the end of the quills. hopefully I will get cleaner fletchings that way.

RMSG sells a whole mess of glues, the shipping is very fast from their store to my house so I use them a lot for orders.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#17 Post by Carpdaddy »

Like stated earlier Clay that Duco works great on wood & cane but not much for carbon or aluminum. I finally found some fletch-tite at Dicks. I love the tape also on Carbon.

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

Clay, I too think Duco only really works good on certain sealers on wood shafts. Like you, I use fletchtite, superglue, and I think its called G2 by Gateway on other shafting. All it is, is a gel type super glue.

Mitch Edwards

#19 Post by Mitch Edwards »

I just use the loctite super glue on carbons and wood. Fletch tight on aluminum. For some reason duco never sets up for me. Maybe I got a bad batch

Jamesh76

#20 Post by Jamesh76 »

Some Walmarts carry Duco, Family Center here (farm store) has always had it, sometimes ace or Westlake hardware stores.

Return to “All about arrows”