broad heads

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
coon dog

Re: broad heads

#11 Post by coon dog »

I,m shooting 125 gr. the razor caps and the field points fly like darts. butthe other 2 blade broad heads make circles going to the target. The zuwickies are light but they have thr. inserts in them. I was going to try what someone had posted about changing the weight in the point and trying that. A friend of mine has along allen wrench to switch weights from the nock end. This would be easier than cutting arrows and hope its the same theory.

Cookies

#12 Post by Cookies »

Hey Jeff. For reference I shoot a 45# recurve with 31.5", Victory vForce in .400 spine or 31" Carbon Express Mutiny in .350, fletched with three 4" feathers each and tipped with either 170gr field points or Centaur Big Game 2-blade broadheads. I'm a poo shot (don't get out to practice much), but I know my accuracy is caused by me, not my set up. I agree with Tony, .500 spine is a little bit weak for a 60# bow.

Longtrad

#13 Post by Longtrad »

thats funny cookie, Im shooting some 400 spine vforces myself, i got those worked out to 250 grains at 30.5 on my 46# predator.

JBaker01

#14 Post by JBaker01 »

55# bow shooting 28.5" axis 400s - I shoot 225 or 250 up front. I went through the whole "Ashby" style tuning arrows deal this past yr even trying his style of feathers. Now I went back to my 4 and five inch feathers though!

Think your arrow spine is too light and then also think once you fix spine if you try some heavy inserts to get your tip weight up I wouldn't think twice about using that razorcap on a hog.

I am going back to thunderhead 125s this year, with 100 grain brass inserts.

Crazynate

#15 Post by Crazynate »

I agree 500s sound way to weak for 60#. My 55# bows I own I shoot 400s with 200 up front. Another thing you can sonisbtry a double no king point just to see if your by chance putting excessive force on the back end of the arrow when at full draw. Also check your nocks for tightness on the string. You should be able to tap them and they will fall off when upside down. If they're to tight you'll get funny flight.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Crazynate

#16 Post by Crazynate »

Sorry for the messy typing. I meant try a double nocking point.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Return to “All about arrows”