broad heads

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
coon dog

broad heads

#1 Post by coon dog »

having problem finding a solid 2 blade BH that flies good out of my bow I shoot off the shelf with a hoyt recurve game master 60# apache style. Any help would be greatly appreciated, looking to hunt hogs with .I shoot 3 blade razor caps for white tail but don't trust them on a tough old hog.

Shadowhntr

Re: broad heads

#2 Post by Shadowhntr »

Welcom to TH Jeff, glad you found us! What 2 blade was flying poor for you, and what kind of arrow material are ya using, wood, aluminum, carbon?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Ditto on the welcome, Jeff. Need more details, as Shadow mentioned. Arrow type, fletching type and length, 2/3/4 fletch, arrow spine, draw length...well, you get the idea. The more info the better. Also, what broadheads are you having trouble with?
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Welcome Jeff. As above more info is needed but the problem is more often related to the tuning than the broadhead itself. I would be toying with nock point, brace height, and arrow spine. May not be the case here but normally a well tuned bow will shoot broadheads and field points alike.

coon dog

#5 Post by coon dog »

I'm using gold tip traditiional 35-55 4" fletching. I've tried a couple zuwickee and carbon express BH

coon dog

#6 Post by coon dog »

I have a friend that shoots trad for years he always told me to shoot a weaker spline so the arrow would flex around the riser better. I had some stiff spline arrows and they shot terrible.

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Finely done tuning is the key to good broadhead flight. Im unfamiliar with the carbon express heads, but I know for a fact the Zwicky are keepers and produce excellent flight characteristics and have for years.

So long as the broadhead isnt bent so you can physically see it, and has been spin tested for reasonably straight mounting...poor broadhead flight is almost assured to be an improper tune in the arrow. Broadheads tend to magnify the imperfections of arrow flight that we sometimes miss or ignore with practice tips. If the shaft is tailing one way or another in the rear, we may not really see it as it recovers so quickly with a field tip. Broadheads have a way of extending that time, so we notice it much more readily.

Do not try to bareshaft tune broadheads, its too dangerous. Use field points.

Do you know how to bare shaft tune for spine (not called "spline" as referenced, just for your personal benefit and knowledge), by taking a small amount of length at a time off the shaft to bring it from being weak, to being a straight flying shaft well tuned?

coon dog

#8 Post by coon dog »

I have bare shaft tuned my competion recurve but it had a plunger rest my bow I shoot off the shelf. only thing I can change is my nock and I use dental floss for a nock so it wont cut my nose. My arrows are cut 1" in front of the riser.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#9 Post by Carpdaddy »

Thinking out loud here so bear with me...
A 60# bow shooting .500 spine sounds weak, especially out of a Hoyt recurve which is likely cut to center. You are probably shooting light heads?? Don't know why the heavier spine didn't work??

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

You can also increase or decrease point weight with field tips, to see if you are weak or stiff. Adding more weight will weaken a stiff spine, and reducing head weight will make a weak arrow more stiff. You can then know at least how and what direction to go.

Return to “All about arrows”