Poor boy arrows for squirrels

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Shootalot

Re: Poor boy arrows for squirrels

#16 Post by Shootalot »

Once dry, remove the tape and plane off the wings, file, sand, varnish, and you're done. Once you do some, you will have about ten minutes in an arrow not counting drying time.

Shootalot

#17 Post by Shootalot »

I forgot Carpdaddy, you ask about the points we use. I certainly don't want to sound like a know it all and everyone has their own opinions on squirrel points just as they do for broadheads but I like field points for wood arrows or a blunt with a small blade pinned or soldered in the end of it. Aluminum or carbon small diameter field points stick to badly in the tree limbs. We hunt mostly the large fox squirrels and if your arrow doesn't stay in the squirrel after you hit it, it will probably get away wounded. The wood arrow points will usually penetrate enough to stay in the squirrel but it is tapered such that it doesn't stick in trees to badly. The blunt with a blade works well also. A plain blunt arrow is fine for finishing the squirrel off if needed. The judos are just for stump shooting. They will rarely stay in a squirrel and are terrible about sticking in tree limbs.
Attachments
P1010839.JPG
P1010839.JPG (93.7 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#18 Post by Carpdaddy »

That's great Shootalot; thanks for sharing that. I would think that the split portion would split apart or bust with the taper going into it but evidently it works with the tape assisting. So you just plane off the spread apart part or wings down to the shaft size. Makes sense but I'm guessing it takes a little practice. Does this effect spine much?

Shadowhntr

#19 Post by Shadowhntr »

Great post! I have taken for granted the wedge would have to seat to the end of the split in the opposite side. I always wondered how that could be done. I sure wish I could have you coach me first hand...this is a skill I could really put to use! Thanks for posting, I may try to struggle through the process and see if I can get it.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

First of all, I agree most of us waste way too much time dreaming about poking sticks into deer when we could be out rustling up rabbits, squirrels pheasants and the like! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I couldn't agree more!
Second, thanks for the photos on 'how you do it'...they make it so much more understandable. I'm looking at a half dozen of my custom cedars that I had written off as 'wall-hangers'...now I'm thinking of repairing them for small game blunts!
Lastly, this thread should be a sticky. Anyone disagree?
Aim small, miss small!

Ron Kulas

#21 Post by Ron Kulas »

Interesting. I have more cedar arrows than I know what to do with. Not broken, just sitting there unused.
The Joy is in the doing.

Shootalot

#22 Post by Shootalot »

Well I got to try the arrows out today. The weather was nice and the dogs and I had a good time. Ended up just breaking one arrow and I didn't lose any.
Attachments
P1010841.JPG
P1010841.JPG (159.04 KiB) Viewed 2730 times

Shadowhntr

#23 Post by Shadowhntr »

Man that is too sweet Gordon! You know, Oklahoma really isnt ALL that far from Kansas..... :mrgreen:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shootalot

#24 Post by Shootalot »

You know Jason, a few years ago I talked a couple of guys from your area into meeting me at a Kansas wildlife area about halfway between Topeka and my home for a little squirrel hunting. I don't remember the area name but I was a little embarrassed because we never saw a single squirrel but we did get in some stump shooting and had a good time.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#25 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sweet! That's a fine picture there with the fox squirrels and matching bow. Or at least real close on the riser color. Great job there, congratulations on a fine hunt.

Return to “All about arrows”