Poor boy arrows for squirrels

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Ron Kulas

Re: Poor boy arrows for squirrels

#21 Post by Ron Kulas »

Interesting. I have more cedar arrows than I know what to do with. Not broken, just sitting there unused.
The Joy is in the doing.

Shootalot

#22 Post by Shootalot »

Well I got to try the arrows out today. The weather was nice and the dogs and I had a good time. Ended up just breaking one arrow and I didn't lose any.
Attachments
P1010841.JPG
P1010841.JPG (159.04 KiB) Viewed 2725 times

Shadowhntr

#23 Post by Shadowhntr »

Man that is too sweet Gordon! You know, Oklahoma really isnt ALL that far from Kansas..... :mrgreen:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shootalot

#24 Post by Shootalot »

You know Jason, a few years ago I talked a couple of guys from your area into meeting me at a Kansas wildlife area about halfway between Topeka and my home for a little squirrel hunting. I don't remember the area name but I was a little embarrassed because we never saw a single squirrel but we did get in some stump shooting and had a good time.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#25 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sweet! That's a fine picture there with the fox squirrels and matching bow. Or at least real close on the riser color. Great job there, congratulations on a fine hunt.

Longtrad

#26 Post by Longtrad »

Awesome haul. What kind of bow is that?

Shootalot

#27 Post by Shootalot »

Longtrad, this is a bow I built. It has some flaws but seems to be holding up. I'm not much of a craftsman. Carpdaddy, When I built the bow, I thought the same thing about the bow color matching the colors of a fox squirrel and that is what I named the bow. It is made of Osage. Thanks for the great commits.
Attachments
P1010846.JPG
P1010846.JPG (108.59 KiB) Viewed 2699 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#28 Post by Captainkirk »

Very nice! Why is it most folks automatically associate trad hunting with big game (aka deer)? Nothing wrong with upland game in my book! I'm definitely going to explore the PH possibilities for small game around here, since the PH opportunities for deer seem to be dwindling.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#29 Post by Carpdaddy »

That's too cool Gorden, I'm glad to see there's another shade tree bowyer around here, you did well! Have you built many bows, you done peaked my interest now! I normally only build a couple per year in the off season myself, it sure adds something to the adventure when you hunt with something you built yourself.

Shootalot

#30 Post by Shootalot »

No, I don't make many. I get in a hurry building bows and usually mess them up. :(

Return to “All about arrows”