Carbon challenged

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Shadowhntr

Carbon challenged

#1 Post by Shadowhntr »

Carbon has never been my thing. I went from POC, to Aluminum, and back to woods... and only ever tried carbon shafts one season in all that time. Ironically, I killed a very large beautiful doe at 6 yards from the ground with one. I also put one through the lungs of a 145" buck that a friend of mine had paunch hit. I wasnt very happy with the results of penetration back then, but thinking back now, they weren't really all that bad considering they were pretty lightweight set ups. A stock Beman shaft, with a 4 blade 110gr (maybe 115?) Bear razorhead lite....pretty light.

Anywho...as some of you may recall, Im game for trying them again with my new lightweight bow...only this time im aiming for 650gr, and im hoping to be between 28%-31% foc. Ive settled on a 600 GT Traditional, as the 500 was flying dead nuts full length, and a bit long and heavy for my goals.

Now for my question to those who have bare shaft tuned carbon. So far ive taken off 1/4" from the 600 full shaft, doing so 1/8" at a time. So far its still showing weak.
1. How much is a reasonable amount in inches to take off at a time? Is carbon really that touchy where 1/8" makes a fairly significant difference?
2. Im running 342gr and or 375gr head... Im at 30 1/4" back of point to valley of nock. In your opinion, will the shaft tune and straighten before/by the time I get down to 29"? 29" is about the shortest I can go safely with a broadhead.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Carbon challenged

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Done threw me off, I would have thought you needed the .500 spine so I wouldn't be any help here. I don't have the patience to do 1/4" at a time so I would probably go for 1/2". But be smarter than me please. Sorry I can't help.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

I also think 600 is a bit light. I'm shooting 600 carbons from my Tamerlane full length with 100 gr field points if you recall...35@28.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

have you tried cutting the 600 to your desired length then tuning with point weight? Long footings are also an option for making shafts stiffer but that opens a whole new can of worms.

wish I could help but I am not a master arrow tuner by any means. I like to get the guys at rmsg to help me out and they cut half inches till it gets close then quarter inch. They tune lots of arrows though.

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Well, you two were right, I hit 29" with the 600 and she was still weak. I gave up on the 600 at that point, and picked up the 500. After numerous shots full length, it actually proved to be weak with the 342gr head, which was good. If I would have gotten many weak readings from the first, I wouldn't have even messed with the 600. Oh well, like clay mentioned, I may toy with a footing on the 600 later on. I only had to take an inch off it, to get it flying straight. Seems to work real well. Now I just have to get a quiver full of them. Here is how it turned out for my 40 lb Toelke bow. May need tweeking over time, but certainly looking really good right now.

500 GT Traditional
31.5" long (was hoping for 29.5, but not happening)
650gr total arrow weight, 342gr is head weight
28.2% FOC

That is plenty good for me..... :D

Longtrad

#6 Post by Longtrad »

Ooooo the elusive 650 grain tuned arrow. Nice work. Might be fun to use the 600s for a lighter 3d set up or small game arrow with cheap broadheads

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

Hum; sounds like a good solid killing machine Shadow, glad you got it worked out. I'm sure you will keep tinkering though, just part of what we do.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Practice makes perfect
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

With all the dadgum arrows I tinker with, I SHOULD be at a professional level in tuning then!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#10 Post by Carpdaddy »

Improving is a constant journey. Just part of the fun also.

Return to “All about arrows”