Carbon challenged

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Shadowhntr

Re: Carbon challenged

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

GUILTY AS CHARGED.....Hi, My name is Jason, and im addicted to arrow tinkering.... :oops:

I guess its just a habit I cant quit...I've stumbled upon the right combos enough before that were soooo nice, that im always seeking to get that extra magical arrow combo.... which likely will never come.

However, everytime I end up with a really nice flying arrow, it has come from me not quite being satisfied with the previous combo. My first stabs are generally nicely mannered enough, and its true many would probably be perfectly happy with them and they do the job. But have you ever had that combination, that just seems to be a bullseye magnet, rifling so straight and true throughout the distance? Well, I tinkered again today trying to advance my arrow combo....big shocker eh? I may have connected....but time will tell. Definitely an improvement in flight and not near as picky about my poor release habits, we like each other more then before. I cut down my only 500 carbon I been working on by a lil more then a half inch, and jumped up in weight to 390gr head. I plan on settling on 400gr, but I can only easily get 390 for now and may keep it there, but for now...close enough. Its about the same weight as the woods I've been using now, only there is an 8% foc difference. I must say, being able to hit 30% FOC, and keeping the arrow weight below 700gr, has impressed the snot out of this old fart, concerning carbon arrows.

30 15/16" long
692gr
30.22% FOC
392gr head

I do think I'll take Clays advise, and work up a lightning fast 600 carbon, to use over at the archery range. I'll work on that later.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#12 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ok, I just ordered a dozen GT Trads in 500 (35-55). Im doing some parts swapping and accessorizing. Instead of using a screw in broadhead adapter and brass insert, im going to a glue in/glue on adapter in 100gr. Then using an aluminum collar at the head end which are 5 gr. Then Gluing on a 300 gr head (to match my test arrows 405gr end weight which includes the aluminum insert.). Now on my target arrows they will be the same, only with a nock end collar. It will only increase my weight 5 gr, and slightly change FOC, but is SO much better protection against me ever sticking an arrow in the nock end of another. They say these collars, are pretty much equal with aluminum footings and make the carbon virtually indestructible. I watched big Jim flat out torture a GT with collars on a concrete wall with around a 60lb bow. Time after time slamming it into it. For many shots, the only thing that happened was the nock kept flying out. Finally after many many shots, he broke the arrow. Flat amazing. With 400 gr on the end of my arrows, I need something to beef them up, and the collars will do it. Should get them next week.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#13 Post by Captainkirk »

Traitor...
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#14 Post by Carpdaddy »

Just adding to his arsenal Kirk, I'm betting that you will still smell some cedar around his house. I'll likely add another dozen GT's and maybe even some woodies this spring. Then I can hunt with what I'm feeling that day, and I would have something else to tinker with.

Shadowhntr

#15 Post by Shadowhntr »

Lol! I like woods still. However there has been a pattern with them. I guess im packing so much weight on the front end, that any time I hit anything very solid even if the woody (douglas fir even!) doesnt break out right, within a few shots they do.....and always right behind the head. I imagine I will always shoot some woods, but I gotta do something about going through so many. Besides, im getting 30% FOC, with a 692 gr arrow. To get the same FOC with woods, requires a footing plus a weight of 825 gr. (Might be a tad lower with 40lb bow). But you can see there is no contest. Plus I dont have the capability of doing footings and they cost more then carbon to buy. Ifit helps though, the GT trads LOOK kinda like wood!!!! :lol:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#16 Post by Carpdaddy »

You can lay one of those pine sented trees like you use to hang from your car mirror in the box and let them absorb the smell!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

Jes' pullin' yer leg, Jase.
I love woodies but see the practicality in carbon. The ultra-light carbons I bought for the Tamerlane have much less of a "rainbow trajectory" than woodies and fly much faster as well. But the biggest bennie is that on the indoor range they don't get totally destroyed if they pass through a target butt and impact the blanketed wall backdrop or skip off the floor. I destroyed several of my custom woodies that way.
Carbon and aluminum both have their place.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#18 Post by Shadowhntr »

Oh, I knew you were pulling my leg Kirk! Thats just what Kirk's do! :lol:

I only explained because one, I just wanted to make conversation, and two, just so that everyone could get a picture of what was going on in life and brain. I like to think out loud! In fact here is more of that.

Honestly, I could survive without ever messing with carbons. However I still would be thinking I'd never really given them a very fair shake. I have used and liked both wood and aluminums, but my carbon experience ended as quickly as it began because of bad experiences that I had created myself...though at the time I didnt realize that.

Im actually growing fond of the carbon. I dont think Im any more fond of carbon then I am aluminums or woods though at this point. To me, they are just another good material option that has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. It gives me a bit broader arsenal. Im surprised really, because deep down I have hated carbons now for a loooooong time. But I have always tried to be open to change, though im stubborn enough about it that at times it takes me longer to open up. I think my favorite aspect of carbon is, when they are used in conjuction with footings....they are nearly indestructible.....esp so out of light bows like I shoot. That means I wont be spending money over and over again. I can eventually use that saved money for other trad gear....in theory of course...as I have to wait to actually see that come to fruition.

Shadowhntr

#19 Post by Shadowhntr »

Ugh...this is one thing I hope to avoid using the carbons with the collars.... shooting today at 17yards at the range..

If you look close, not only the nock is split.. I actually broke 2 today, but I didnt take pics of the second. I just left instead.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

When I see that on my target butt..I back up.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “All about arrows”