Finished my caribou arrows!

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
dhaverstick

Finished my caribou arrows!

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

I finished my arrows for the 2017-2018 season. I got them done early this year because I needed to start practicing with them for my August caribou hunt in Quebec.

Once again, I got my shafts from Kevin Forrester of Forrester Wood Shafts. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he makes the best hardwood shafts available! These are 11/32" golden mahogany that are spined at around 65 pounds. Thanks, Kevin, for a great product and great service!

I stained the back of the shafts with aniline dye and then burned the designs onto the shafts using a butane torch and Flamecrester templates from Shriver Archery. I colored them with permanent markers and paint pens.

I'm using 190 grain Meatheads for my killing points again this year. They're easy to sharpen and I had good luck with them last year. My final arrow weight is somewhere either side of 700 grains.

I hope to show you some photos of one of these arrows sticking out of a nice 'bou towards the end of August!

Darren

Jose

Re: Finished my caribou arrows!

#2 Post by Jose »

Wow those are nice looking! Man you do good work. They look like killing sticks to me! I don't think seven practice arrows would be enough for me though for the season.....and it's not because I'm good enough to break them on each other while shooting either.... :roll:

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Oh wow Darren; those are excellent. Beautiful colors and designs! I would have to mount those somewhere rather than hunt with them. But on the other hand no arrow is too nice to hold back on a shot on a Caribou!! Hope to see one of those in bright red...Blood!!

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Once again.....awesome work brother!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Mohawk

#5 Post by Mohawk »

Man those look great! I just got some 190 gr meatheads too. I can't wait to see how they perform on your caribou!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Terrific work, Darren! The paint pens are a nice touch. Nobody will ever be able to steal an arrow from your quiver and say it's theirs, for sure!
And yeah...we'd all kinda like to see one in 'red'...
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

Those are sweet, i really like how each arrow is different.

Return to “All about arrows”