Tools for pretty wood arrows

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Tools for pretty wood arrows

#11 Post by Captainkirk »

Also will add:
Shafts: I prefer POC (Port Orford Cedar) for my daily shooters. Much cheaper, easier to straighten and you don't cry as much if you lose or break one. :shock:
Douglas Fir or harwoods are great (as Darren mentioned) for hunting or stumping (POC does NOT hold up to stumping well) Forrester, Surewood and others are great for the more durable woods.
A lot has been said on this forum regarding high FOC arrows and EFOC. (high front of center/extreme front of center)I would suggest you contact Shadowhntr if this interests you as he is the reigning expert...BEFORE you begin ordering components.
Points: I use standard field points in the same weight designation as my broadheads for my practice arrows. You will find a broad preference of broadheads here, that will be a personal decision.
Nocks: there are several different types, I prefer a snap-on nock with an indexer. Again; personal preference.
Fletching: You have to decide 3 or 4 fletch? Right or left helical? (doesn't matter to the bow) 4, 5, or 5.5 inch feathers? All things you need to decide.
Aim small, miss small!

Cody2306

#12 Post by Cody2306 »

Hey guys man great info here. I just ordered the bitzin fleshing jig and some duco cement. I'll start working on the tools as I go.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#13 Post by Captainkirk »

Did you order the left, right or straight Bitz?
Aim small, miss small!

Cody2306

#14 Post by Cody2306 »

Right helicon is what I ordered so I assume when I order fletchings they will be right helicon as well

Shadowhntr

#15 Post by Shadowhntr »

The bitz is a heck of a good fletching jig. I've used one now for 25 years....same one. I cant see me ever changing to another brand willingly.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

Cody2306 wrote:Right helicon is what I ordered so I assume when I order fletchings they will be right helicon as well
Yes, right helical or "right wing feathers" is what you will need to order. You can dial in as much or as little helical as you choose with the Bitz. You won't be sorry.
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#17 Post by dhaverstick »

A tip about the Bitz jig. If you do decide you want to get the left helical clamp as well, you will also need to buy the left wing indexer. That's the doohickey you put your nock into and rotate to put your different feathers on.

Darren

Return to “All about arrows”