4 inch vs 5 in

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Shadowhntr

Re: 4 inch vs 5 in

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

Another thing I will mention. On the flip side, the more fletching you have the more rear weight. If higher FOC is the focus, the extra weight can hinder that. Even so, good arrow flight is a must. Tiny fletching can be tuned to fly straight...but release and form has got to be near perfect to effectively use them.
Honestly Cody, if a person is just starting out, I always recommend 3x5" fletching. It's stable and the easiest to get bullet perfect flight with.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#12 Post by Longtrad »

I would agree if you are just beginning I don't know that you could have too much feather, i think it will make the learning curve more enjoyable. You might see some people advocate tiny 2" low cut feathers but typically they have been at it a long time and have experimented with many other fletch types

Jamesh76

#13 Post by Jamesh76 »

3x 5" or 4x4". you won't notice much difference between the two. as stated, we need help with release flaws. As far as I'm concerned the minimal weight added to the rear will not affect flight for 95% or archers due to inconsistent release so don't even worry about it u less your stack I g 3 arrows in a pop can size group at 25 yards. if less than 25 grains makes a difference in arrow spine, you were probably out of tune to begin with.

Jose

#14 Post by Jose »

I have been using 4-4" now for several years. I really like the 4 Fletch for several reasons. I get really good flight with field tips and broadheads. The best thing is I never have to worry about having the cock feather out during 2nd shot opportunities. If it nocks on the string it's good!

JBaker01

#15 Post by JBaker01 »

I used 5" feathers ever since I been shooting a bow. Bought some pre fletched arrows nd they came with 4" used them til I ha to refletch them and went back with 5". They looked so odd to me now??? never saw a difference between the 4 and 5" so gonna go back with 4" when I use up the rest of my 5" stuff.

I did use the "Ashby" style jobbers last year a bit. I did a bit of experimenting with the way he prescribes arrow tuning and his set up. Once I got it all dialed in they shot fine. Didnt stick with it though?

J

Crazynate

#16 Post by Crazynate »

I use 3-4" on my practice arrows only because I can get 2 feathers from 1 full length. BUT for hunting all my arrows are 3-5" fletched with lots of helical.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Return to “All about arrows”