Surewood test kit

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Cody2306

Surewood test kit

#1 Post by Cody2306 »

Hey guys sorry for all the questions. I am interested in ordering the test kit. I want to make sure I order the correct spine range. They do 50- 55 and 55-60 . I'm shooting a bob lee hunter 53# at 28 and I'm drawing around 28-29 inch. I'm having a hard time find exactly dl. But I'm wondering what spine kit I should get and what is a good field tip weight . Cause I know that will play a roll in tuning

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Surewood test kit

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

I ordered a test kit from 3Rivers (fletched; ready to shoot). I told them my DL and bow weight and they selected the kit that covered the most bases. It was really helpful dialing in the right spine.
Aim small, miss small!

Cody2306

#3 Post by Cody2306 »

Yeah I seen there's . I prefer to your surewoods spine test kit because I will be shooting there shafts. I want to shoot as close as I can to a full lenght shaft but I would like to use a descent size weight for a field tip.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Tell us your most desired tip weight Cody and we can get you close...
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Cody2306

#5 Post by Cody2306 »

Well I'm wanting to go with a heavier tip weight for penatraion. With my carbons I use a 125g and I forget what the insert is. So I'm gonna guess a 200g or is that to heavy

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

It's a matter of opinion and personal preference really. I've shot up to 450 gr head out of a 45lb bow....so no, I can say from experience 200gr is not too heavy coming out of a 53lb bow. It boils down to what you think is acceptable trajectory at a certain distance.
With the 450gr out of 45lb bow, I didn't care for it because it had a bit too much drop at 20 yards. 16 yards was more like it, so I backed off a bit....even though 15 yards and under is where I kill the vast majority of the deer I shoot

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Is your bow rest/shelf cut to center, past center, or before center?

Cody2306

#8 Post by Cody2306 »

It's off the shelf and I believe past center

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

I can say, you will have to use a lot more spine then you'd imagine with woods and center cut bows, so no dont use 50/55 or 55/60 its not enough for that bow and head weight for your draw.
From my figures with 53lb bow at 30in arrow+/-, a 70/75 or 75/80 between 29.5 and 30.5 inches long...and I favor the 75/80 to work.
High spine requirements are always an issue with wood when greater than a 50lb bow, higher head weights, and longer arrows are involved. Those spines shouldn't be too hard to get though.

Cody, call and talk to one of the guys at Surewood. Ask them their opinion on what you will need. Tell them all the info you gave us. Stick to your guns on the 200gr point and dont allow them to talk you down in weight just because they might think it unneeded. They are great guys.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Also when you order, ask them for the lightest available shafts in ? spine. At that spine and length, those are going to be some pretty heavy arrows. I'll figure it and get back to you

Return to “All about arrows”