Glue on adapters for more weight

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Shadowhntr

Re: Glue on adapters for more weight

#11 Post by Shadowhntr »

I personally bare shaft tune. I like to take up to 10 shots or more with each trim cut for spine adjustment.(sometimes even 20 shots) That way I can get a good feel for what the shaft is doing the majority of the time, and I won't go off a false reading from release flaws. Bare shaft tuning requires confidence and achievement in your release. I like to have someone stand behind and close, to watch the shaft in the air to see what it does.... as depending on how its sticking In the target alone is a good way to get false readings and create confusion and loss. I like using a white nock as its easier to see if its tailing left or right, or porposing up and down.
I've done paper tune, and it works too, but you need to do a variety of distances to make sure you didn't happen to send a crazy flying arrow right at a moment it was flying straight -ish through the paper. I did paper early on, but I have bare shafted so many arrows over the years now I can't begin to count....woods included as well as aluminums and now carbons. When I'm done, there is no doubt about their flight and tuning.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Shadowhntr

#12 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'm one of those tinkering guys....nothing is ever exempt from me seeing if something else works too...tweeking a little or complete over hauls dont really matter I like it all. It's habit. But the good thing about always changing arrows around as often as changing underware.... is you get pretty dang good at doing it, which includes tuning. So yes I'm a tinkerer...but every shaft I set up and keep to own fly straight as a string. I dont tinker because my arrows dont fly well. There is a difference. Idk why I got off on that tangent but im glad it's over...lol!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#13 Post by Carpdaddy »

I have about came to the conclusion that I am not talented or consistent enough in my release to bare shaft. I still try occasionally but all it proves is that I can't do it. When a 40 pound bow shows a 400 spine arrow weak then you ain't doing it right! I also confess that I am a relentless tinkerer that never stops changing things, even when they work. I liked the woods weights on my cane arrows, I rarely shoot wood so can't help there.

Shadowhntr

#14 Post by Shadowhntr »

Tony, I really find the old belief to be true. With all other things being equal, a heavier poundage bow is easier to get decent releases on compared to the lighter poundage bow. Back when I shot 56lbs, i didnt even really care or think about release because my arrows flew great to my thinking. When i backed off to 50lbs, I noticed arrows didn't fly quite as true. At the time I thought it was the bow. When I bumped on down to 45lbs...well I discovered there was a problem for sure but for the longest time I didn't realize the problem was actually me. I went through a ton of things over and over only to eventually find out.... It was my poor release habits. I started working on years worth of bad habit making, and still am fighting it though it has SLOWLY gotten better over time. Gradually I'm engraining a better release. My new 40lb bow seems like it's "just as picky" about release or even a bit more then my 45's. One things for sure... In the whole process, I've also gained knowledge and perspective on many other things that cause inconsistent shooting from arrows being slung down range that fly less then straight as a result. String torque along with related "canting" issues, bow torque and clutching upon shot by incorrect holding of the bow grip, follow through during and after the shot...and more. Finding problem issues, then addressing and developing correct technique for those issues, one at a time... and mastering only one at a time, is the only real way to improve our shot ...at least that is going to last and stick with a person anyway. It's not easy...esp when having to break old habits and then installing correct ones. We can do our best to mask bad habits by countering with our various choices of materials...but it doesn't change the fact that those bad habits still exist, and still plague our shot.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#15 Post by Carpdaddy »

I do believe you may be onto something there Jason. I won't say that I didn't have but I sure didn't notice so much my release issue last year while shooting the 48# green Carp. A few days ago I was shooting a 45# bow and did better. Another thing haunting me is consistently hitting low with the lower poundage bow. This past week I was shooting some light arrows that cured that problem but when I shoot my heavier hunting arrows the drop is not ingrained in my sights yet!

Mohawk

#16 Post by Mohawk »

I feel your pain! I'm hitting low with my new, heavier arrows too, beyond 15 yards. I just haven't shot enough at 20 to get my brain tuned in yet.

Shadowhntr

#17 Post by Shadowhntr »

I do the same thing fellas. 40lbs is not much to be pushing 700gr arrows down the lane. Like you both, I need to do much more shooting at 20-25 yards. I started that this weekend and did start seeing several 20 yard bulls and my groups moved up. I shot a ton this weekend.

However being a tinkerer, I ordered 6 Beman ICS Bowhunters in 500 spine. They are much lighter per inch then GT Traditional of the same spine, and a bit smaller diameter.. If it comes together as I've figured...i should end up with a 617gr arrow with roughly 365gr heads. That way my arrows total weight drops 87gr, and with a head weight only 35gr less then on the 704gr GT I'm shooting now... the FOC should be through the roof, with a much flatter trajectory.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#18 Post by Carpdaddy »

Some of the pictures I posted last week on the green Apple thread was me hitting some small apples from 20 yards. But that is shooting light 435 grain arrows. I shot them some with weight tubes getting another 90 grain but couldn't get consistent flight and keep hitting low. I have some heavy hunters with 300 up front that weigh 700 grain, then some CE 150's with 250 up front weighing 530 grain. Both are dropping too much above 20 for my liking and are ruining my internal sights. I will continue tinkering but if I don't figure something out I will be using this bow and light arrows for targets and another heavier weight bow for hunting. That is unless those who preach 10 grains per pound convince me, so far I'm not content hunting with a 435 grain arrow.

Return to “All about arrows”