What broadhead(s) do you plan on using this season?

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Hill billy

Re: What broadhead(s) do you plan on using this season?

#11 Post by Hill billy »

elkslayer4x5 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:06 pm Zwicky 130 gr No Mercy single bevel on 32" cedar. Ok they're only 31 7/8" , My draw, plus 1" and 7/8" taper Haven't weighed feathers and nocks yet but am up to 507Grs as is. I am pretty good with a file but I'm way better with this. ;)
broadhead stone.jpg
Is that a natural stone that you picked up somewhere? I like the concept

elkslayer4x5

#12 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Nope. It a Saunder's Archery broadhead stone, two grits, cost about $3 back in the day. A small mom and pop company, Saunders made some great stuff, their soft rubber brush buttons are sorely missed, Haven't worn that stone out yet, put a very sharp edge on bear greenies, I imagine these Zwicky no mercy single bevels will take an even better edge since they are harder steel. I'm thinking I'll need to make a quiver adapter to hold them.
Some of the new crop of bow quivers are foolish, with the foam filling the hood, so that the point must be dulled putting it in the quiver, leaving the rest of the cutting edges exposed. NO, the points go up inside the hood! :roll:

Grizzly

#13 Post by Grizzly »

Like Kirk and his Zwickey Eskimos, I've just continued using my Magnus II and Ace 125 gr double bevel heads, even with carbons or aluminum shafts. My carbons are on the light side and really, I've never seen one fail on these big Illinois deer yet. No doubt the changes that have been made in designs and adding weight up front may help, but I'm not hunting elk or Africa either. I think I was tempted to buy some Woodsmans years ago after I ran a broadhead course with some borrowed heads, but never made the change.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

EWill

#14 Post by EWill »

I'm going to continue to use my own trade points. I want to try too make them a little heavier though. They sharpen up fairly easy and stay pretty sharp, a little touch up is all they need. I enjoy making them and since they're basically free it doesn't hurt quite as much when I lose one.

Grizzly

#15 Post by Grizzly »

I seem to remember you talking about your trade points here but I can't find the thread. Do you braze or wire weld them to a feral? I'd love to see a photo. Imagine if you could get a thin sheet of something that would hold an edge and still sharpen easily, and if you made friends with a knifemaker with heat treating equipment. But it sounds like what you are using is adequate for your needs.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

EWill

#16 Post by EWill »

Grizzly, I use 1" wide carbonized steel banding. My heads are flat, no brazing, welding, or otherwise type of connecting. I cut a slit in the end of my arrow shaft deep enough to accept the feral plus about 1/4" more. I glue them in with 5 min. epoxy then wrap behind the head with copper from an old extension cord, heavy thread works also. I then apply some duco cement to the copper wrap to help hold it.
I will try to post pictures but not sure if I have the app that allows it.

stumper

#17 Post by stumper »

Zwickey eskimos 125 grain
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “All about arrows”