Trying to be like Fred

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Crazynate

Re: Trying to be like Fred

#11 Post by Crazynate »

Cool. That's where I got the itch to do these. I was sorting through some arrows and I thought it would be cool to hve some white ones. I almost did wood to but I'm just to hard on my arrows so I chose carbon.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Longtrad

#12 Post by Longtrad »

As an innovator I think ol Fred would have giving carbon arrows a fair shake myself, I really like white arrows, hope they make some meat for you!

Crazynate

#13 Post by Crazynate »

Thanks longtrad. I agree with ya about Fred. He used all the latest and greatest inventions. They used only wood in the old days because that's what they had. Later in years Fred used fiberglass. It seems he was alll about trying new things.

Shadowhntr

#14 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'm not stirring the pot because I know better. I do agree ol Fred was an innovator that moved archery in a more advanced direction and would have likely accepted carbon arrows openly.

The thing people tend to forget though, was that at least a good amount of Fred's motivation and acceptance of innovation for that advancment wasn't so much for the good of archery as a whole, as much as it was for the survival of his buisness and thus himself. Archery as a whole did indeed gain much popularity from his business efforts and focus, though his business and profit was his main focus from early on. Here is a section quote from a very popular interview with Fred, late in his life, where he plainly states he had a product to sell, he had to create a market for the product, so he promoted archery to get that done..

"I had to not only make a product, but create a market for it,” he said. “So, I got into the promotional business and I soon found that the newspapers weren’t interested in the scores of the tournament, but if you could run down there with a deer or a bear you shot with a bow, you might make the front page.” - FRED BEAR

Don't get me wrong I love Fred Bear. I just think pointing to his innovative habits as grounds to accept or not accept something isn't a great idea based on Fred's motives as a buisness man. Otherwise, if you really think about it....why then aren't we all shooting compounds and (modern) xbow s? Are not they the most innovative thing going in archery? Just food for thought... ;)

Just to add....I enjoy a good number of innovations ol Fred brought about. My favorite is probably fiberglass laminate limbs. Love it and it will be very difficult to top all the benefits of glass limbs imo, if it's ever even accomplished. I'm grateful for it. I also shoot the main 3 arrow materials and love them all. So I'm not an innovation snob by any means. For myself though, I only choose what I use in archery for no other reason then it's what I like....whether Fred would be ok with it or not, or anyone else for that matter. Really, that's the whole point of my post.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Crazynate

#15 Post by Crazynate »

I get what you mean. I wasn't trying to imply I choose any of my equipment because Fred would or wouldn't approve or use it. He is just an idle of mine. I to hunt with whatever I choose to hunt with. It's more of a joke to say is it Fred approved. What I meant about the arrows is Fred also used and tried new products as they came out even the compound bow. His intentions may of been to sell equipment and make money to a point but I doubt he was just a money driven man. If he was he would've been retired in 68 when he sold the company. He cared about archery as much as any of us. I think he would be offended today to see the company he started selling crossbows. But it's 2017 I guess.

Shadowhntr

#16 Post by Shadowhntr »

I think that perfectly fine Nate. Fred was certainly an archer way before he was a businessmen. Hooking up with Art Young...making self bows from staves, hunting 6 years before taking a deer with that bow....all things that says he was an archer at heart well before the buisness started too. I will also say he is probably the most brilliant businessmen to ever have been in archery or will ever be. He HAD to offer new things to stay afloat financially and sell them to archers and convenience them they needed his products. Not a thing in the world wrong with that...its a classic American success story and I respect the heck out of him for it. But as I stated earlier he had a good portion of him, pushing forward in the innovation department, because it was imparitive to his buisness that he had invested everything he owned in. Of course he was going to promote all the newest best things...he HAD to. I dont judge him or anyone for that at all. I love and enjoy many of those innovations myself! However, if those innovations conflict with my personal goals or ethics, I will not follow no matter who it is doing the innovating. What I'm trying to say, is it comes down to a personal line that we draw, and not necessarily the line drawn by others, even if they are very influential. I know you get that as you stated so. And we all have our idols and hero's bro, nothing wrong with that at all and if you want to follow Fred Bear then you would do yourself injustice not to. I'm not a huge fan but I do respect him always as a fellow senior archer and as a phenomenon in the buisness world. I can't help but say my biggest hero as you probably know is Ishi. For no other reason then his story moves me. I know you are moved by Fred, as many are....nothing wrong with that at all. Nate all this is just conversation and view. I hold your friendship way more valuable then any conversation topic. Please dont take any of this as some type of scolding or something because it is not. Iron sharpens iron. If we all had one way of thinking, what a boring world this would be! As a brother, I respect you and care for you a lot.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Crazynate

#17 Post by Crazynate »

I like what you have to say I wouldn't ever take it in a negative way at all I respect your opinion. It's interesting to hear somebody else's ideas and thoughts. That's why I like this place. Nobody jumps down your throats for having an opinion. I am guilty though I have never read much about ishi or other archery pioneers before Fred. This past June at Compton Wade Phillips did a great presentation on Art young and his contributions to Archery. That was super cool as are all Wades displays and presentations . I know they're are other great Archers everyone should read about and hopefully someday I will read about all of them. I actually have stacks of books about all those guys I have picked up at antique shops I just need to read them lol

Return to “All about arrows”