Going to switch to carbon arrows for my first upcoming seaso

How to's, questions, and build alongs for those traditional archers who are interested in building their own custom arrows.
Forum rules
This area strictly for arrows. Building, flight or broadhead flight.
Cody2306

Going to switch to carbon arrows for my first upcoming seaso

#1 Post by Cody2306 »

Alright guys so I had made some wood arrows from Douglas for that I really like but . I just don’t have the eye for straight if out the shafts. I have problems 18 I can’t get straight. So I feel it’s in mine and the animals beat intrest to get carbon so I don’t have to worry as much about my arrow flying true. I would like a 31 inch shaft and I like my 145 grain heads on my woodies so I think that would be nice but would be willing to change that if I don’t meet my desired total weight. My woodies are 600 but I would be happy with 500 ish give or take. Does anybody know how much a good tip traditional weights fletched? From there spine chart the 340s should put me in the correct spine with 150 grain. Or can anybody tell me another good carbon hunting arrow. I don’t think I like the Easton axis . There pretty light from what I remember

Longtrad

Re: Going to switch to carbon arrows for my first upcoming s

#2 Post by Longtrad »

every carbon arrow should have a grain per inch (GPI) stat listed somewhere, that will help you figure out how much they will weight at what length. I am fan of lighter gpi shafts so I can get more foc and devote more of the arrow weight to business end but lots of folks like a heavier shaft. It's one of those things you just have to experiment with and see what works for you.

Cody2306

#3 Post by Cody2306 »

That’s cool. I would like a heavier foc as well. I need to do some research. I’m shooting a 53# @ 28 but my dL is 27 so I assume it’s about 50#. I’ll do some more research. Question how do y’all tune if the inserts have to be glued in or can you glue with fertilite so you can heat and unglue so I can trim some for bare shaft tuning

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

If you are bare shaft tuning its easier to tune by cutting down nock end of the arrow so you are not constantly having to reglue your insert.

If you are tuning fletched shafts you can wrap your insert with a piece of tape or saran wrap so it will have enough friction to fit in the shaft nicely but will also pull out easily for tuning.

the ferLtite glue will work but IMO the hot melt glue that big jim sells (i forget its brand name) is much much better and melts a much lower temp, that makes it safer to use on carbons and easier to use for tuning.

Cody2306

#5 Post by Cody2306 »

Ok what are y’all using for glueing inserts permanently?

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

What clay said on the glue, it’s what I use also, here’s a link..
https://bigjimsbowcompany.com/product-c ... adhesives/
In the carbons I usually use whatever I can get on clearance, I have bought Big Jim’s Gold Tip blems several times through the years. I personally don’t think you will need anything stiffer than a 400 spine but that’s just my opinion.
https://bigjimsbowcompany.com/product-c ... ip-shafts/
3Rivers has a test kit and some good deals right now.
https://www.3riversarchery.com/search.html

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

I use the quick stick glue for heads or tuning purposes on carbon, but I JB weld the shaft inserts once tuning is done.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Crazynate

#8 Post by Crazynate »

Carbons are all pretty light. I use aquarium tubing for weight if I need it for hunting. It won't effect spine. I like the Easton Epics. That's the arrow that came out before the axis. 3 rivers has them in sale for 44/DZ. I like em so much I bought 8sz of them. They are great shafts. Mine with aquarium tubing weigh 637 and that's with a 200grain head. I have used gold tips in the pst and they are great too. I just prefer an American made arrow.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Crazynate

#9 Post by Crazynate »

Another thing you can use for tuning is the Blue Bohning glue stick. Easy in and out with a little heat so it's easy to tune with. I use a glass of boiling water to take em in and out. Fast and easy. Here's a picture of the aquarium tubing in one of my hunting arrows. Fits nice and tight and adds about 180grainsImage
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Looks like you could add a piece of tight fitting brass rod to the forward end of that tubing to increase both weight and FOC
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “All about arrows”